Recipe Maryland Style Crab Cakes and Caribbean Conch Fritters

Wow, man...two of my favorite shellfish at the same time!

Conch is such a wonderfully flavorful shellfish. Are you able to find your own where you live, @CraigC and @medtran49? I'm envisioning a scenario similar to when I lived in Palo Alto. We'd go to Half Moon Bay, and sometimes find abalone (which are also wonderfully flavorful).

I also lived in Maryland, which is known for blue crab (and soft shell crab, which I never liked, since it always seemed to be prepared in a way that's too salty). Never managed to catch one of those, of course. I do appreciate the addition of Old Bay...another Maryland staple (and invention). I think it goes well in any seafood preparation, but I'm probably a bit biased. :whistling:

Wow, man...two of my favorite shellfish at the same time!

Conch is such a wonderfully flavorful shellfish. Are you able to find your own where you live, @CraigC and @medtran49? I'm envisioning a scenario similar to when I lived in Palo Alto. We'd go to Half Moon Bay, and sometimes find abalone (which are also wonderfully flavorful).

I also lived in Maryland, which is known for blue crab (and soft shell crab, which I never liked, since it always seemed to be prepared in a way that's too salty). Never managed to catch one of those, of course. I do appreciate the addition of Old Bay...another Maryland staple (and invention). I think it goes well in any seafood preparation, but I'm probably a bit biased. :whistling:

In 1977 a 10 year ban on harvesting Queen conch was put in place. It has never been lifted. Last year, California put an indefinite ban on harvesting abalone in place.

Back
Top Bottom