Masa de Maiz Azul (Blue Corn Flour)

Discussion in 'Rice, Pasta, Pulses and Grains' started by morning glory, Aug 11, 2018.

1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

I recently managed to obtain this interesting flour on-line. Its a Mexican ingredient and really is made from blue corn. Hard to find in the UK! Traditionally its used to make tortillas but I wondered what else I could do with it. I made some (vegan) pancakes using half wheat flour/half Masa they turned out very well. I also made a rather brick like cornbread loaf (not pictured).

The masa has a very distinctive taste which is very different from regular masa. Anyway - has anyone got some inventive ideas as to what else I could use it for? I'm keen to experiment..

fullsizeoutput_38fb.jpeg

Pancake (with black beans, spinach, chilli and egg):

fullsizeoutput_38e6.jpeg

CraigC and Wandering Bob like this.
  2. CraigC

CraigC Senior Member

Believe it or not, we can't find that locally, even at specialty or Latin markets that mostly cater to Mexicans and central Americans.

3. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

That surprises me a lot. I imagined it was just normal stuff for you! It wasn't very expensive unless I include postage but I ordered a few other things too.