Massive table at Thanksgiving- what to do?

b-rod

Veteran
Local time
11:30 PM
This Thanksgiving I'm expecting to have to feed at least thirty people, possibly forty. We usually have four people in the kitchen on Thanksgiving, but with almost twice the number of people I'm used to having, what should I do? I have to get at least two turkeys, maybe three. I've been tossing around the idea of doing a sort of buffet style table in one room, then in the actual dining room we'll have smaller plates of the food for those who want seconds? I'll have a few extra hands in the kitchen, but I don't know how to serve that amount of food. Any ideas?

For serving food to about 40 people... definitely a buffet kind of thing. So much easier for everyone.
Don't know how things work over there but here when the family get's together for a large meal (such as Christmas), most people bring a dish or two (like a salad or fish starters for example) with them. This way there is a lot less cooking to be done by the host.

Well, in my opinion buffet is the better kind for around forty members because it consumes less time and gives chance to serve many at an earlier rate. Arranging tables for many too is a good option but not a better one, I feel. It may be the best when served by more number of people so that all the tasks would carry out well in time.

I agree that opting for a buffet may be the most convenient and practical way of serving 30-40 guests. This way everyone can grab a plate and then spread out throughout the living and dining rooms and mingle. I've found in the past that if you set up separate tables, where you have food laid out or serve your guests that they'll worry that the other table may have some dishes that there table doesn't have ha ha.

Thanksgiving was a success! I set up the buffet, but my family is very big on eating together and so we all got our food from the buffet and then brought it to the table; it was such a nice night! The buffet style was so simple, and nobody complained that it wasn't 'homey' enough!

Trying to pass plates around the tables to 40 different people would be a nightmare, I would definitely go with a buffet style setup. I would also strongly suggest getting at least 3 turkeys. 2 doesn't really sound like much for that many people to be honest. Also, it's easier to cook 3 regular size turkeys than two enormous ones imo, particularly when you are dealing with cook times, getting the bird up to temperature without drying out the breasts.

Back
Top Bottom