Matcha and mochi?

queenbellevue

Veteran
Local time
12:55 PM
Anyone had either of these heavenly desserts? They're both from Japan, and both made from humble ingredients. Matcha is like a green tea powder, usually put into a drink or cakes, and mochi is a glutenous rice cake. Now, coming from an Asian country myself, I've had LOTS of things made from these ingredients, but none have even come close to being as delicious.

mochi-rice-cake.jpg

matcha.jpg

Attachments

• mochi-rice-cake.jpg
    mochi-rice-cake.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 253
I've had matcha before. I might actually have some in my fridge as I type. I love using it in smoothies & I never really considered using it when baking. I'm going to give that a go next.

I have to admit I am really scared of many oriental deserts. I am a big european pastry type girl, and the few Chinese or Filipino desserts I have tried have a funny taste and texture I am not used to. I have tried a few things in the past and they were absolutely not to my liking, so much so that I am really scared to try any new ones.

my son has a varied bunch of friends,they come from all corners of the globe and he tried mochi ,and he loved it ,we were in Dublin on a long weekend and managed to get a packet from a oriental supermarket,not saying it was my favourite but it was a different texture

I have to admit I am really scared of many oriental deserts. I am a big european pastry type girl, and the few Chinese or Filipino desserts I have tried have a funny taste and texture I am not used to. I have tried a few things in the past and they were absolutely not to my liking, so much so that I am really scared to try any new ones.

lol I know exactly what you mean. My childhood friend is Vietnamese & she is always giving me sweets that I am not a huge fan of. I don't even think time or experience would just that for me. Just not my cup of tea.

I love mochi! Matcha could be a mochi flavor. I have tried that and I liked it very much. Although, I am not quite sure if others would like it if they're not a fan of green tea, as you can really taste the green tea infused in it. I have also tried mochi icecream wherein it's the glutenous rice outside but a flavorful icecream on the inside. It's actually one of my favorite desserts. I think there are easy do-it-yourself mochi recipes found on the internet and even on youtube, for those who actually want to try the home-made customized ones. :D

I've honestly never tried this dessert, but I'm not a huge fan of Asian desserts. I prefer Italian and French pastries, since I like things incredibly sweet and it might help that I grew up in a place that had a large, Italian population and I'm currently in Paris. I do have a friend that raved about this when she tried it at a cultural festival, but I'm not huge on the idea of the ingredients. I might try to make it, but it also might be a catastrophe!

I know of a Japanese restaurant that sells them but they are too expensive. The matcha I think is not always available but it looks gorgeous and I am dying to try a recipe that uses matcha. I am looking to use it on my donuts you think it would taste great on them? Does it taste like tea or any leaf for that matter?

Ah I love this! I love matcha green tea ice cream, yogurt and coffee! It has a strong, sweet herbal taste that I enjoy and the mochi looks like a gelatinous blob-- but I've tried it in a Japanese restaurant once and it's really good. Most Asian desserts are really into round and jelly-like desserts which are both cute and easy to eat. I say, try anything once people! :)

Back
Top Bottom