Meal Delivery Kit

lovecookie

Local time
12:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew good meal delivery companies? I have used HelloFresh once but they waste too much plastic and the portions are too small for my taste.

what's your opinion about food delivery companies? Should people just go to the grocery and buy food or do you think it's a useful tool to kick off your cooking adventures?

I think it depends on the person. All my nieces and nephews use them.

Personally, I enjoy the prep work involved with cooking, for the most part, so I don't think I would like it.

I look at these kits as a middle ground between prepping and cooking from scratch, and settling for processed food heated up or take out. I say middle ground with a heavy skew toward the home cook side.

For someone who works 50-hours a week (not good for you, either), it is a way to get fresh food into your body with the time you have. I can also envision this for my parents, who are in their late 80s and about to move from their castle with the HUGE kitchen, to a one story assisted living condo. My mom no longer drives, and my dad is getting close to that point. They eat one "dinner" at noon, and eat light meals for breakfast and supper. For this situation, home meal kits make great sense.

I have not tried any, but have thought about it, just to see if they are as good as people say they are.

A few YouTube cooking shows I like, including Basics with Babbish, are sponsored by them, and do occasional episodes with a kit -- and I believe a comparison scratch version.

CD

I've noticed one of the groceries we shop at has been introducing meal kits little by little. Guess they are testing the market. I don't remember the price, but do remember thinking it wasn't too bad.

Just for the lark of it, I ordered several meals from Dinner Thyme, and they arrived Wednesday. They're different from most of the services as they don't go by subscription, and you can order as much as you want as everything comes frozen. So I can eat what I ordered when I want. Some of the meals come in "split bags" so you can do individual person servings, too.

The only problem with pre-frozen meals is that some veggies really don't stand up well to freezing, but based on the ONE meal I've made so far: Blackened Shrimp Over Cauliflower "Grits" - the bell peppers included were solid enough. I was very happy with this meal, although I modified part of the time course they suggested, in order not to overcook the shrimp/bell pepper portion of the meal. I did have the option to cut the shrimp and the vinaigrette dressing into two separate meal portions - and simply divide if I desired the rest, on my own. I cooked it all as a full two-person meal however. And had the leftovers BRIEFLY heated on a skillet as breakfast this morning.

This is the only meal I've had from them so far... check later next week! Which will likely be only one more meal. I still prefer to cook my own food. One good thing about Dinner Thyme is that they hope you can rely on your own ability with the salt shaker. They don't over-assault their meals.

The cooling packaging is make from compressed recycled bottles and you can go recycle again as you can. Interior bags are in regular plastic, however. (there's of yet no real way around this, alas...)

Like many things meal kits have their place.
- a more nutritious alternative for those who do not know how to cook
- working couples especially those with children.
- couples or singles with long commutes - no time or energy.

Two of my Nieces are married with two young children each.

Younger Niece commutes no less than an hour each way. Fortunately her Husband works from home. He dresses and feeds the children in the morning and gets them to day care. During the day he can throw a load of laundry in the washer an dryer between phone calls and client meetings. My Niece picks up the children in the evening. Her husband will do food prep. They use a meal kit every now and then.

My other Niece used to have an even longer commute. She recently changed jobs and is only 15 minutes from home. :woot: She and her husband have a division of labor. She does the laundry - he cooks. He worked for many years as a line chef at Brennan's in Houston. A meal kit. NEVER!

The Late Night Gourmet did a review of Blue Apron.

Search results for query: meal kits

Back
Top Bottom