Meals that taste best reheated

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
3:51 AM
Last night I was eating some left over potato casserole from the night before, and decided that it tasted better reheated than it did when I originally made it. What are some of the meals you feel that taste better the 2nd or 3rd time around?

I definitely agree that some foods do taste better after being reheated from the night before. There are also some that do not taste as good as when they are freshly done. I find that when I reheat baked chicken, it tends to taste better. The same goes for macaroni pie. The same cannot be said for mashed potatoes or soup, however. One thing I do not like reheating are vegetables. They have to be eaten fresh..

Curry, most definitely improves. Leaving most casserole type dishes overnight and re-heating seems to act as a marinating process and the flavours become enhanced. Pastry topped pies, I find, tend to dry up if left over night. Somehow, the delicious thick gravy which oozed out when you cut open the pie last night, is reduced to a congealed sticky mass! I don't understand what happens to it! Perhaps it evaporates?

Last night I was eating some left over potato casserole from the night before, and decided that it tasted better reheated than it did when I originally made it. What are some of the meals you feel that taste better the 2nd or 3rd time around?
Not sure if I've miss understood your post but i would never reheat food more than once

To keep leftovers from spoiling by heating them too often, I only reheat a portion of it, and keep the rest in the fridge. :wink:

Casseroles taste nice the day you make one, but it tastes even better the next day.

I think most cooked meals taste better once the flavors have melded. Sometimes I'll cook a meal, usually a casserole type dish, where multiple types of ingredients are mixed and cooked together, such as veggies, starch, protein and spices, and stick it in the refrigerator until the next day, to enhance the flavors.

I like leftover pizza, as long as the crust is crisp, and it has to be reheated in the oven, not the microwave.

Not sure if I've miss understood your post but i would never reheat food more than once

Now I am not sure I understand you Berties. Are you talking about reheating a set of curry today and after it gets cold that same day reheating it again? Or maybe reheating the dish and then storing what's left and reheating again?

Anyway, I am guessing Rosyrain means that she'll reheat some today and eat that, reheat some the next day, eat that, and so on and so on. Anyway with me, it's rice and stews. Caribbean my pie taste great the day after by the way.

To keep leftovers from spoiling by heating them too often, I only reheat a portion of it, and keep the rest in the fridge. :wink:

When reheating food, like casseroles, I too only reheat the portion that I am going to eat at that time. I would never reheat an entire dish more than once, and I will only reheat the entire dish if the whole family is going to eat it again.

Now I am not sure I understand you Berties. Are you talking about reheating a set of curry today and after it gets cold that same day reheating it again? Or maybe reheating the dish and then storing what's left and reheating again?

Anyway, I am guessing Rosyrain means that she'll reheat some today and eat that, reheat some the next day, eat that, and so on and so on. Anyway with me, it's rice and stews. Caribbean my pie taste great the day after by the way.
I think the way I worded my reply it can be understood !

Curry is definitely something that tastes better the next day. In fact,I've often cooked them a day in advance and reheated for that night's meal.

For the record, I wouldn't reheat this again. Once only, However, I would also be happy with scooping half of it out into the pan, reheating that and reheating the other portion the next day.

I can name a few, but they are mostly Filipino dishes: chicken adobo, fish adobo, beef soup, and paksiw (milkfish in vinegar). They are especially great with fried rice! :)

Back
Top Bottom