Merry Christmas from Chicago!

AreJay

Local time
9:34 PM
Hello all. My name is RJ and I’m from Chicago. I hope to meet a lot of nice friends here and have a lot of fun. In 2002, I graduated from Le Cordon Bleu. I worked in professional kitchens for 9 years. Now, I only cook for my wife.

I have a cat and 3 dogs. I love drums, guitars, podcasts, comedies, scary movies and screenplay writing. Oh, and cooking and baking too.

I dig being here already.

Welcome to CookingBites @AreJay :welcome: We are a very friendly forum and we love new members. And gosh, you have graduated from Le Cordon Bleu! Please dive in and join in wherever you wish. We have 3 challenges going at the moment, see here. Or you could tell us what you cooked or ate today: What did you cook/eat today (December 2017)?

Hi RJ

Welcome to CookingBites. :welcome:

The only thing my days working in a restaurant was how to make decent gravy and therefore steak and kidney pie. Decent here is in terms of northern English folk art the pub end of the market! But there are never any left over at the end of the day... Oh the other thing it taught me was that sheep are amazingly sensible and know all the hot spots in the tarmac that slowly release their heat during the course of the night. This is great until you are driving home on unlit single track country lanes at half one in the morning... Still they were always in the same place, I just had to learn to remember where...

Anyhow dig in. The Cafe is for anything that had nothing whatsoever to do with cooking, otherwise everything else had a home. If you're not sure, take a guess then use the report button and just ask us the double check its in the best place. Don't be afraid of the word report, it is simply a way of raising a 'helpdesk' question, nothing more.

You'll find your first few posts will be moderated, it's the same for all newbies, just to help keep the site free of spam and advertising, but once you get going your replies and threads will turn up straight away.

Two of the challenges at the moment are quite challenging! The Spice Challenge was centred around star anise, but had since been extended to include fennel, aniseed and liquorice because it really is challenging members to come up with recipes where the central flavour is star anise! The other one is the recipe challenge. Again it's a challenge as well. That's more a competition (winner gets to choose the next ingredient) and that one had to have celery as it's central ingredient. The other challenge is Tarte Tatin... It's drawing to a close soon I think but it can be a sweet or savoury Tarte Tatin.

Anyhow, welcome and Merry Christmas.

SNSSO
(Site Owner)

Welcome, RJ. I love where my city is headed in terms of gastronomy, but Chicago still blows Detroit away. We're taking notes, though, and I'm glad to be so close to one of the great culinary cities in the world.

Sports are a totally different thing, but you knew that already. :okay:

Looking forward to seeing a fellow Big-10 country resident sharing thoughts about something he loves to do (particularly with your background...once again, the Motor City trails the Windy City!)

I live in San Jose, CA now, but am Chicago born and raised. Lived just north of Wrigley Field, just off Southport and Irving Park Road.

Welcome to this forum from another Noob.

Chicago is culturally diverse and the gastronomical experience is equally diverse and so good! I miss Italian Roast Beef sandwiches from those Vienna Sausage vendors. The Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder on Clark Street still ranks in my mind as the best I ever had - Pizza by the pound!

Happy Holidays.

Back
Top Bottom