Messy food prep gadgets

oddduck

Über Member
Local time
4:29 PM
You know sometimes i wish i had a plug outside On my back step so i could take my mess making gadgets outside and use them and then just hose off the mess.

I'm thinking of my vitamix mostly...i am sure it isn't suppose to be messy but its messy.

Also hand juicers tend to be messy tho its not such a big problem since i got a cutting board that spans my sink so most the mess just heads down the drain.

Which gadgets do you find rather messy?

A potato peeler. i peel the veggies over a paper bag to reduce the mess. When I'm done, I throw the bag into the garbage can ^ rinse off the peeler under hot water. :wink:

A potato peeler. i peel the veggies over a paper bag to reduce the mess. When I'm done, I throw the bag into the garbage can ^ rinse off the peeler under hot water. :wink:

My wife does that. I tend to peel them under a little running water with the drain plugged. Then unplug the drain and deposit the peelings into the rubbish. We really should get a composter.

Garlic press.

I have one but hardly ever use it. Either just slice the garlic, bash it with a knife or process it through the chopper and/or freeze it.

minced garlic 2 s.jpg

Which gadgets do you find rather messy?

I find the blender rather messy if I leave the lid off.

I once tried to open a small tin of tomato puree which exploded and spread the tomato half way around the kitchen. That took some clearing up.

+1 for the garlic press, so I stopped using it. A knife, cutting board, and some coarse salt work as well or better.

Along the same lines as the garlic press is a potato ricer.

Another one is the spice grinder. Tiny amounts of spice dust gets into crevices that cannot be cleaned out. I'm thinking of taking the power washer to them (one for hot chilis, the other for everything else) the next time I break it out to clean out the gutters on the house.

I don't have a problem with my spice grinder (which is, in fact, a coffee grinder). There are no crevices as far as I know.

I wish mine had a removable canister. I have 2 of these for spices.

https://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-F20370...ocphy=9058761&hvtargid=pla-313987246774&psc=1

Only the lid comes off, and there are right-ish angles on the bottom next to the blade (what do you call the angle in a cross section of a tubular elipse?) where the bits get stuck, not to mention the stuff that gets caught around the non-removable blade.

I could disassemble it, but I think the power washer and heavy gloves is the way to go.

The gloves are a must. Have you ever put your hand in front of a 2000 psi concentrated water stream? It looks fun until the skin starts to separate layers...

Garlic press.

I bought a very expensive Rolls Royce of garlic presses a while back - there is a review on the forum. It is easier to clean than most but nevertheless... lately I grate garlic on the microplane - much easier to scrape off the bits and rinse under the tap.

Another one is the spice grinder. Tiny amounts of spice dust gets into crevices that cannot be cleaned out. I'm thinking of taking the power washer to them (one for hot chilis, the other for everything else) the next time I break it out to clean out the gutters on the house.

I just flick out the ground bits with a medium small paint brush (which I use as a pastry brush). I then rinse the metal cavity under the tap. But I'm not sure which crevices you mean... my spice grinder may be different.

Kitchen tongs.
When I feel particularly inspired, I use them when I cook scallops or cherry tomatoes or mini-rolls. But then they easily slip away and take a lot of time for something that I could do using a simple fork.

Kitchen tongs.
When I feel particularly inspired, I use them when I cook scallops or cherry tomatoes or mini-rolls. But then they easily slip away and take a lot of time for something that I could do using a simple fork.

Get the ones with the silicon tips...they are mush securer.

Back
Top Bottom