Mexican - Has anyone ever made enchaladas before?

That's great! Do you mean that you make the tortillas too.

Ha! I wish! I have been present when others have made tortillas and I have a number of Pinterest pins saved for doing it, but I have yet to try making them from scratch myself. Homemade tortillas are not like the ones you get in the store. They are always thicker and not as pliable. If I ate them everyday I might want to avoid the packaged ones and make my own, but for now I don't have the time.

I have a delicious chicken enchilada recipe at home I will have to look for so I can share it with you all. You don't even have to roll the enchiladas, so it is quick and easy, especially if you purchase a roasted chicken from the store. I always make a big batch that lasts us 2-3 days.

I remember having regular enchilada nights as a kid, growing up in New Zealand. :) Although, the best enchiladas I've ever tasted were in Ensenada, Mexico, this time last year. They were definitely spicier than the ones I grew up with as a kid.

I started making Enchiladas back in the early 1990's when I was a line cook at Chi Chi's. At the time, they had a lunch buffet during the week, so I would have to make large trays of mini enchiladas. If I recall, the filling was just cheese, chicken and green chiles, then the corn tortillas were dipped in the enchilada sauce before rolling them up with the filling. Then we poured more sauce over them all and baked them in the oven. They were smaller though, only a little thicker than a cigar, and cut in half into smaller portions.

I make them at home once in a while as well, but I stick with flour tortillas since they are easier to roll and don't break. I definitely make it a point to use enchilada sauce and not try to substitute jarred salsa. I've tried that in the past and the salsa was wayyy too vinegary and it ruined the dish.

One of my favorite variations for the filling was to use thawed (and wrung out) frozen spinach, along with a blend of Mexican cheeses and some taco seasoning. The spinach was really meaty and it was a nice alternative to using meat.

Back
Top Bottom