Microwave Cake-making

The turntable looks enameled, could that play a part?
@oddduck
It is indeed enameled, but I do not believe that makes it immune to arcing (sparking). Arcing most frequently occurs between contained metal and the walls of the oven. The turntable rests almost on the bottom of the cavity, as it is called, therefore being immune to arcing. With no food load, it just might arc, but I would not want to try that.

I haven’t baked a cake in the microwave for a very long time, but I do remember using it to bake what we in Northern Ireland call ‘buns’ (in other lingos they’d be cupcakes or fairy cakes)and they were delicious - very light and fluffy. Just thinking about it makes me want to try again.

I've never actually tried baking cakes in a microwave... won't it explode? :unsure:

my Mum used to bake lots of cakes in the microwave and most of them were fine. In fact one year she won the chocolate cake class in the village show with a microwaved cake :laugh: (the local W.I. ladies weren't impressed!)

Do you have any recipes of hers?

I'll bet those W.I. ladies were shocked!

I've never actually tried baking cakes in a microwave... won't it explode? :unsure:
@Mewmew
I shall ask my wife more about "box cake" mixes vs "hand strewn" cake as rendered in the microwave. As I recall, teaching microwave cooking class, she used box mixes exclusively to save time. Before she was hired to sell microwave ovens, she had no knowledge of actually cooking wit them. She learned quickly when exposed to that field daily, and soon became the "teacher". The public response was amazing. Many claimed it was "easy" for her, but could not work for them. Her response: I learned how by following the manual which came with the oven".

I have never tried to bake a cake in the oven. I am always in doubt for the result but seeing this I will try to do so.

Back
Top Bottom