Microwave magic?

Scrambled egg:

20171020_132820.jpg

When I got my first microwave and later the huge one, I used to use them a lot, but ever since then my microwaves have been used mainly for re-heating and thawing, or heating milk or soup. I also used to "fry" bacon in there, much less messy than doing it on the hob. It's a shame because I've got a huge collection of microwave recipes. In those days, microwaves were at most 400W, and the recipes reflect this. However, I have discovered some conversion charts on the internet, so maybe I can start using my new one to cook with.

@morning glory Perhaps we could have a new forum just for microwave meals :wink:

Mmm. That looks the best scrambled egg ever. How do you do that in a microwave? I would struggle to do that in a pan with half a pack of butter and many extra yolks. BTW I haven't used a microwave for over ten years.
Well thank you! I mixed a bit of butter and a splash of double cream into 2 beaten eggs in a breakfast cereal bowl, seasoned with salt and white pepper then microwaved for about 2 minutes. I should have timed it. The point is to watch it like a hawk and stir with a fork every ten seconds, then every five seconds. Take it out just before it looks ready as it will carry on cooking. Mix in a little more butter.

Well thank you! I mixed a bit of butter and a splash of double cream into 2 beaten eggs in a breakfast cereal bowl, seasoned with salt and white pepper then microwaved for about 2 minutes. I should have timed it. The point is to watch it like a hawk and stir with a fork every ten seconds, then every five seconds. Take it out just before it looks ready as it will carry on cooking. Mix in a little more butter.
But surely that's easier to do in a pan - you can watch it constantly without having to open the door all the time?

But surely that's easier to do in a pan - you can watch it constantly without having to open the door all the time?
Don't know - maybe - but I get better results in microwave. Plus no pan to wash up. The problem with pan method is the bits in contact with pan can overcook. The microwave cooks from the inside so no overcooked bits.

Last edited:
I use ours to cook a sachet of porridge for quick and easy, a pot of mash potato but not much else. Tried scrambled egg but it came out over cooked and rubbery so do that on the hob so I can keep a close eye. They are great and nothing to be sneered at.

I just discovered this: to peel garlic easily, microwave a clove for 12 seconds (might be a bit more or less depending on your oven). Cut the little tip off and the skin slips right off! I just tested this and it works a treat.

Though not exactly the most environmentally friendly of methods especially when our garlic crusher doesn't need the skin removing if you're only doing a couple of cloves.

Though not exactly the most environmentally friendly of methods especially when our garlic crusher doesn't need the skin removing if you're only doing a couple of cloves.
A few seconds of electricity.... but as you say a first rate garlic crusher is good. But for making larger quantities of something like garlic purée this microwave method is fantastic. Forget what I said about cutting off the tips - they slip straight out of the skin.

A few seconds of electricity.... but as you say a first rate garlic crusher is good. But for making larger quantities of something like garlic purée this microwave method is fantastic. Forget what I said about cutting off the tips - they slip straight out of the skin.

I cut the tip and they seem to peel easy enough, now I have said that the next clove will be a pain to peel :rolleyes:

This is a peppers, aubergine, tomatoes, onions cooked with thyme and bay leaves in the microwave. As @Lynne Guinne says, the great thing about microwaving veg is that they retain their colour.

Before cooking:

20171021_131839.jpg

After cooking. I cooked the courgettes in the microwave in another bowl as I didn't want them losing colour in the mix (also they take less time).

20171021_161745.jpg

This is a peppers, aubergine, tomatoes, onions cooked with thyme and bay leaves in the microwave. As @Lynne Guinne says, the great thing about microwaving veg is that they retain their colour.

Before cooking:

View attachment 11171

After cooking. I cooked the courgettes in the microwave in another bowl as I didn't want them losing colour in the mix (also they take less time).

View attachment 11172
Looks fantastic, but I can't see the benefit of using a microwave. Most of the ingredients have different cooking times - easy to manage in a pan, but surely a pain in a microwave?

This is a peppers, aubergine, tomatoes, onions cooked with thyme and bay leaves in the microwave. As @Lynne Guinne says, the great thing about microwaving veg is that they retain their colour....
I did? I said that? Why do I not remember saying that? :scratchhead:I suppose it's true, but my use of microwave falls more in the "reheating" category anymore. Mostly my cup of tea *gasp* because I let it sit around until it gets cold. Then I forget that I put in into the microwave until I go to use it again...:o_o:

Back
Top Bottom