Microwave magic?

Looks fantastic, but I can't see the benefit of using a microwave. Most of the ingredients have different cooking times - easy to manage in a pan, but surely a pain in a microwave?

Not really a pain in the microwave. I just covered in clingfilm and cooked for 23 mins. I stirred once during cooking. Another benefit is that vegetables retain their shape as well as colour. I don't think I could achieve that so well in a pan.

Pappadums. Microwave them 4-6 at a time for roughly 20 seconds per pappadum.

I have a purpose made microwave steamer for veggies. It is especially fabulous for frozen vegand fresh leafy greens - quick and the veg keep their colour.

The kids cook jacket potato in the microwave for snacks.

Defrosting things

Reheating things

Melting things - we used to make cheese crisps as after school snack back in the 80's

I did a class at one of the fancy chocolate makers in Sydney and they melt all of the chocolate in 2kg batches in the microwave - in short bursts, stirring between and say it's the very best way as no water may be accidentally introduced.

Even though the microwave is handy for most things, I don't thaw out meat in mine. It tends to precook the edges of the meat before I actually get to cook in on the stove!

So I just get a large bowl of lukewarm water & place the vacuum-sealed bag of meat into it,. By it being tightly vacuumed & sealed, no water can get into it!! It's thawed in under an hour!! :wink:

My latest microwave (a Tesco branded one, one up from their 'value' microwave) thaws meat perfectly when set on automatic. I didn't used to have that luxury with any of the older ones.

I have actually used my microwave a few times lately - perfect for making mug cakes, especially flavoured ones (chocolate :happy:). I also used it to make a plain one, which was then covered in a couple of spoonfuls of golden syrup which soaked through it, turning it more or less into a mug steamed sponge pudding. It had the added advantage that, as the syrup was not cooked through, it wasn't mouth burning hot, but just right to eat straight away.

I somehow completely missed this until now. I typically only use the microwave to soften butter or melt chocolate if I don't feel like setting up a double boiler. I've also used it to cook spaghetti squash. But, I did use it yesterday to par-cook the cauliflower I used in my cauliflower tater tots. I'm happy to see that there are other uses for it besides microwaving frozen dinners. :facepalm:

I use it to reheat leftovers and cook quick lunches for me like mac and cheese or pot pies.
Melt butter or chocolate
Cook aspargus spears
Make nut brittle, though not so much anymore
Get things started defrosting
Bake potatoes
Cook bacon if it's just a couple of pieces
Heat water or broth for various uses

Back
Top Bottom