Microwave magic?

I used to keep ferrets, and I always thawed their food out in the microwave. Every time they heard that "ping" they wanted feeding. Luckily the mutt likes his food thawed out naturally - if I forget to get it out of the freezer and have to thaw it in the microwave, I swear he rolls his eyes at me.

I used to keep ferrets, and I always thawed their food out in the microwave. Every time they heard that "ping" they wanted feeding. Luckily the mutt likes his food thawed out naturally - if I forget to get it out of the freezer and have to thaw it in the microwave, I swear he rolls his eyes at me.

I've kept ferrets and skunks. Skunks are very playful. I had one female that actually played with one of the dogs. I do not use the microwave to defrost the rats for the snake as it has to be completely raw. Several changes of hot tap water in a bowl does the trick.

I've kept ferrets and skunks. Skunks are very playful. I had one female that actually played with one of the dogs. I do not use the microwave to defrost the rats for the snake as it has to be completely raw. Several changes of hot tap water in a bowl does the trick.
If I didn't have any fresh rats handy, I just used to take the rats out of the freezer the night before (or in the morning in hot weather). I never used to feed live food, though. I've seen what a rat can do to a snake or a ferret, and it ain't pretty. I used to breed rats for pets or food, for my own use and for a pet shop. I could have 400+ rats in the house at any one time.

A thought has just occurred to me - have microwave ovens made bubble & squeak a thing of the past?

Not in my house!!!!

bubble and squeak 5 s.jpg

My main use for ours is "pre-cooking" jacket potatoes (2 - 3 minutes each depending on size) prior to putting them in the oven and as I'll cook 4 or 5 at a time, then for reheating on subsequent days.

If I get a carry oot then I may give it a boost in the M/W if it has cooled too much.

My wife used to heat a saucer of milk for our oldest cat but he seems to have gone off it recently. The youngest cat (an orphan) never had a liking for milk although she was weened on a milk substitute by syringe.

All my frozen curries, chilis, mushie peas, etc., are defrosted naturally and reheated in a saucepan on the stovetop where I may keep an eye on them. There are exceptions like when I have forgotten to defrost a certain ingredient (frozen ginger puree for example) but I try to keep those to a minimum.

We buy frozen bacon, sausage, ham and beef but that is always defrosted naturally (overnight in the fridge for the beef).

My main use for ours is "pre-cooking" jacket potatoes (2 - 3 minutes each depending on size) prior to putting them in the oven and as I'll cook 4 or 5 at a time, then for reheating on subsequent days.

I do the same. I am trying to use mine more often. Its underrated IMHO. Have you tried making a white sauce (béchamel) in the microwave? Its very easy and the bowl is easier to wash up than a saucepan, I find.

I do the same. I am trying to use mine more often. Its underrated IMHO. Have you tried making a white sauce (béchamel) in the microwave? Its very easy and the bowl is easier to wash up than a saucepan, I find.

I've been trying to make a decent béchamel sauce for many years now and I've finally got it right so I'm not about to change now. Anyway, it's a piece o' pish to make in the saucepan and I don't wash it. :laugh::laugh:

I've been trying to make a decent béchamel sauce for many years now and I've finally got it right so I'm not about to change now. Anyway, it's a piece o' pish to make in the saucepan and I don't wash it. :laugh::laugh:

The method is no different in the microwave really.... I just find it more foolproof and quicker. Scrambled eggs are easy too.

If I didn't have any fresh rats handy, I just used to take the rats out of the freezer the night before (or in the morning in hot weather). I never used to feed live food, though. I've seen what a rat can do to a snake or a ferret, and it ain't pretty. I used to breed rats for pets or food, for my own use and for a pet shop. I could have 400+ rats in the house at any one time.

That is exactly why we would not sell any snake that wasn't established on F/T rat pups.

The method is no different in the microwave really.... I just find it more foolproof and quicker. Scrambled eggs are easy too.

The problem with my M/W is that when the door is open the heat is turned off thereby making continuous whisking virtually impossible.

A few years ago a friend of mine had a python which would not eat dead mice. He would pay the village kids Bht 10.00 (about 20 pence) each for live ones.

python.jpg

My kitchen is too small to afford space for a microwave oven. I did have one many years ago, when I was a housewife, I used to to cook vegetables but I got fed up opening and closing the door so went back to pots and pans.

Back
Top Bottom