Recipe microwaved cheese stick alternatives

sorrowscall

Veteran
Local time
7:48 PM
Well, recently, I've had to muddle around the kitchen and get really creative in order to make some interesting foods. One thing I found out to make is a much healthier option to cheese sticks, requiring only a microwave and a few ingredients. You will need the following:
1 string cheese
1 soft shell tortilla
1 butter knife
1 microwave.

Instructions:
1. Cut up the torilla into different long sections. then half those sections. Make sure to keep the sections with the ones that are the same sizes as eachother.
2. Cut up the string cheese into small 3 or 4 centimeter thick disks and place about 4 or 5 of these disks on top of half the sections.
3. Use the remaining sections to cover the cheese so that it looks like a strange little sandwich.
4. Put them on a plate if you haven't already, and microwave them for 30 seconds.

Viola! A somewhat healthier alternative to cheese sticks!

By cheese sticks are you referring to the deep fried mozerella sticks? I always thought of cheese sticks as sticks of string cheese. Sounds pretty good to me. I don't care for deep fried food but I love cheese.

By cheese sticks are you referring to the deep fried mozerella sticks? I always thought of cheese sticks as sticks of string cheese. Sounds pretty good to me. I don't care for deep fried food but I love cheese.
I meant the deep fried mozeralla cheese sticks. I've always heard them referred to as that while string cheese has always been refferred to as string cheese or string cheese sticks to me.

I'd suggest browning the tortilla on the stove before microwaving it just to add to the texture. When microwave cooking you always end up with mush. I like my tortilla to have a bite to it.

I'd suggest browning the tortilla on the stove before microwaving it just to add to the texture. When microwave cooking you always end up with mush. I like my tortilla to have a bite to it.
I'll definitely do that! I like the mushy kind a bit more, but it's always good to have a variety of things to try so I'll remember to do this next time I'm making some homemade cheese sticks. How long do you think it'll take to brown a tortilla for something like this though?

I like the center to be on the mushy side as well. What with it being delicious cheese & all that. :woot:
When I would make them this way back in the days I browned them on the stove & then microwaved. Best of both worlds.

I love deep fried mozzerella cheese sticks no matter how bad they are for me. It is a rare treat for me, but I normally have them when I go to the pub for the evening. I really like the idea of the tortilla sandwhich kind and this would be an easy after school snack for the kids. I bet pepper jack cheese would be a fantastic filler as well.

I like the center to be on the mushy side as well. What with it being delicious cheese & all that. :woot:
When I would make them this way back in the days I browned them on the stove & then microwaved. Best of both worlds.
I'm going to have to try this as well. I hadn't even considered first baking them before microwaving them because I just wanted something really quick to make and try at the time when I did try it out. You're all making such lovely suggestions and I can't wait to try all the different ways to cook and do this recipe!

There's so much you can do with just tortilla wraps and cheese. I was hungry one day and just had homemade soft tacos the day before so I still had tortilla wraps and cheese and I just made a sort of quesadilla by putting cheese in between two wraps and toasting them. I like this idea of cheese sticks, though! Something really easy to do yet still so delicious! :)

Back
Top Bottom