Recipe Milk Bread

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:33 AM
This came about because I had some evaporated milk left over from another project. There are quite a few recipes like this - but I just improvised, writing down measures as I went. The result is a soft brioche like bread - though not as sweet as brioche. The deep yellow yolks of the Black Farmer eggs I use provided a pleasing yellow colour to the bread.

fullsizeoutput_304a.jpeg

Ingredients
(makes one small loaf)
300g strong white bread flour
7 g salt
2 tsp active dried yeast
1 tsp sugar
75ml warm water
1 egg
100ml evaporated milk (warmed slightly)

Method
  1. Whisk the yeast and sugar into the water and leave to froth (10 mins).
  2. Beat the egg into the evaporated milk.
  3. Place the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and add the yeast mixture.
  4. Gradually add the milk/egg mixture stirring as you go until the mixture comes together into a ball. You may not need all the egg/milk.
  5. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for ten minutes.
  6. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and leave to rise until doubled in size.
  7. Knock back the dough and either shape into a loaf or place in a baking tin.
  8. Leave to prove for 20 mins.
  9. Cook for 20 -25 mins @180 C.

Thanks, I just came across the e milk in my pantry while looking for something else. I've copied it so will try this some time. Yours look amazing and a nice colour. Just how I like it. My last attempt at bread was a disaster. Lol.

Russ
This came about because I had some evaporated milk left over from another project. There are quite a few recipes like this - but I just improvised, writing down measures as I went. The result is a soft brioche like bread - though not as sweet as brioche. The deep yellow yolks of the Black Farmer eggs I use provided a pleasing yellow colour to the bread.

View attachment 15314

Ingredients
(makes one small loaf)
300g strong white bread flour
6 g salt
2 tsp active dried yeast
1 tsp sugar
75ml warm water
1 egg
100ml evaporated milk (warmed slightly)

Method
  1. Whisk the yeast and sugar into the water and leave to froth (10 mins).
  2. Beat the egg into the evaporated milk.
  3. Place the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and add the yeast mixture.
  4. Gradually add the milk/egg mixture stirring as you go until the mixture comes together into a ball. You may not need all the egg/milk.
  5. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for ten minutes.
  6. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and leave to rise until doubled in size.
  7. Knock back the dough and either shape into a loaf or place in a baking tin.
  8. Leave to prove for 20 mins.
  9. Cook for 20 -25 mins @180 C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom