Recipe Mince pies

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:23 PM
I was going to make some mince pies for Christmas in any case - but in another thread the idea of making them without apple was raised. See Very restricted diet Mincemeat for Mince Pie. So - I thought I'd just leave apples out and see what happened. Really, you wouldn't taste the difference if the apple is absent! Mincemeat is not a 'set' recipe. Its basically dried fruits steeped in alcohol (or fruit juice) with suet added. The choice of fruit is up to you. I adapted this mincemeat recipe from James Martin: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13377/traditional-mincemeat

Photographed today in natural light

Ingredients

• Shortcrust pastry
  • 250g golden raisins
  • 200g currants
  • 200g sultanas
  • 100ml whisky
  • zest of 1 lemon and juice of ½
  • 300g shredded suet (I used vegetarian suet)
  • 250g dark brown sugar
  • 85g chopped mixed peel
  • ½ small nutmeg, grated
Method
  1. Soak the raisins, currants and sultanas in the whisky and lemon juice for 1 hr (or overnight) until plumped up, then drain.
  2. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, suet, sugar, mixed peel and nutmeg. Mix well.
  3. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
  4. Roll out the pastry and cut out rounds. Line the holes in a muffin tin with the pastry.
  5. Fill each round with mincemeat and top with shapes of pastry or a smaller round.
  6. Brush with beaten egg.
  7. Bake the pies for 15-20 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool before releasing them from the muffin trays and dusting with icing sugar.
DSCF3023.jpg

I have never acquired the taste for mince pies, various friends/family and baked some for us, even had shop bought, still don't like them.

They look good though :okay:

Back
Top Bottom