Minced Garlic

Wow, that is news to me. Here in the U.S. most of our garlic comes from around Gilroy, California. They grow several varieties there but we mostly see the normal size and jumbo size varieties. The regular size are the best with the most flavor. The jumbo size need to be jumbo sized because they have weak flavor. I have encountered some purple skinned garlic in the supermarket and I assume those are imported or possibly from California as well. They are tasty but have small cloves making them more work to use. Can't beat the normal heads from Gilroy for me.

In my local grocery store produce department, the fresh garlic is just labeled as "Garlic." Most of it comes from China or Mexico, because that's cheep (which means more profitable). If I want garlic from California, such as Gilroy garlic, I have to look for it, and it will most likely be in jars. To get fresh Gilroy garlic, I have to buy it online.

CD

I bought some minced garlic in jars, but it turned reall dark!! I guess that it's still good, but when it's all gone, I'll go back to just buying the garlic cloves peeled & chop them with THIS gadget instead! :whistling:
Oxo Larger Good Grips Ch9opper..jpg

In my local grocery store produce department, the fresh garlic is just labeled as "Garlic." Most of it comes from China or Mexico, because that's cheep (which means more profitable). If I want garlic from California, such as Gilroy garlic, I have to look for it, and it will most likely be in jars. To get fresh Gilroy garlic, I have to buy it online.

CD
Ouch, that is discouraging.

Now y'all have got me thinking ... I think that I will attempt to grow my own Garlic.
That means that I need to wait until September.
And then the big question is what kind and where to buy it?
All suggestions are welcome.
Do you like 'hot' garlic with a strong taste or do you prefer milder garlic?

Next question, sandy/well draining soil or clay? Both will need to be 'fertile' though, as in not herb growing conditions but rich organic matter full of nutrients.

Hot dry summers or cooler weather, plus what's your winter like?

All of these will control the type of garlic you can grow.

Do you like 'hot' garlic with a strong taste or do you prefer milder garlic?

Next question, sandy/well draining soil or clay? Both will need to be 'fertile' though, as in not herb growing conditions but rich organic matter full of nutrients.

Hot dry summers or cooler weather, plus what's your winter like?

All of these will control the type of garlic you can grow.
That sounds like you can give some advise
Let's try
Strong garlic (hot)
Clayish, maybe more loam. Got heavy clay as well, but that soil doesn't drain (we call it black cotton soil)
Hot summer, never frost.

We grow onions between April (after the rains) till Sept (before the heat).
I think garlic would take similar conditions to onions?

Back
Top Bottom