Minced Meats

Local time
3:34 AM
Lately I have been seeing a lot of different types of minced meat on the supermarket shelves. There was a time when the only meat that I can remember seeing minced was beef, and that is the one which I would buy occasionally, and which I still buy. However, these days, I am also seeing minced lamb, minced chicken and minced turkey.

Minced meat is a very easy meat to prepare and comes in handy when we want to cook a quick meal. It does not have to be marinated beforehand and that is one of the things I like about it. Furthermore, it is one of the less expensive meats to buy when you are running on a low budget. Minced beef is also good for making hamburgers. I am yet to try the minced chicken and the minced turkey.

Do you buy minced meats on a regular basis? If so, which is your favourite one?

Last edited:
Yes! Beef is probably our most common. I use it in a lot of dishes. For Bolognese sauces, Aussie style meat pies, stuffed peppers, hamburger patties - the list goes on, really.

The weirdest one I've seen is kangaroo mince. Now, I'm Australian by citizenship, but there's still something bizarre to me about seeing that just casually on a supermarket shelf!

Actually l have not bought mince meant in forever. When I do buy it's beef but I have been off of the red meat (beef)for some time now. I think it's expensive @Caribbean girl. At least the Grade A I used to buy.

I don't eat pork or beef. I eat chicken, lamb and fish only. I frequently buy chicken and lamb minced meat. I use minced meat as filling in various dishes. One of my favorite minced mat dish is dumplings. When I prepare dumplings, I use minced meat and other spices as fillings.

I have never bought or even tried minced meat before. I know my older sister loves the stuff. She even makes her own. I must admit though that minced kangaroo is a new one. I am not sure I could even talk myself into trying that one.

Actually l have not bought mince meant in forever. When I do buy it's beef but I have been off of the red meat (beef)for some time now. I think it's expensive @Caribbean girl. At least the Grade A I used to buy.

I too would like to get off of the red meat, that is why I was looking into buying the minced turkey for a change. Minced chicken would be good too. I find minced meat is the cheapest meat to buy though. From my experience, even the Grade A one works out cheaper than buying regular beef or chicken. It all depends on the amount you buy though.

In the UK minced meat (ground in the US, I think) is very popular and probably the most economical. We have minced, beef, pork, lamb, turkey. The best seller is minced beef which people use to make Bolognaise, Cottage Pie, Chilli con Carne, meatballs and burgers. I tend to use minced lamb (or lamb and mutton) quite a lot as it has a more interesting flavour.

Last edited:
Well I must say I have been so accustomed to buying only the minced beef, that I may have been overlooking the other minced meats. I bought minced lamb for the first time last week and will give it a try soon. I agree that it may have a more interesting flavour than the beef. I am planning on trying the minced turkey too and probably the minced chicken as well.

If you mean by minced meat is the ground beef or ground pork then I'd say we buy that sometimes. Last week we planned to have spaghetti so we bought a kilo of ground beef that we sauteed in garlic and onions before the flavoring of soy sauce and tomato sauce. To complement the minced meat, we added sliced hot dogs and spam cubes. That's the sauce of the pasta which we cooked separately. A cauldron of that sauce is enough for 2 kilos of spaghetti.

I usually buy minced beef as it is such a versatile meat to use. Some of the typical dishes I make using minced beef include lasagne, cottage pie, minced beef and onion pie, chilli con carne, spaghetti bolognese, meatballs and beef burgers. I occasionally buy minced lamb to make spicy koftas or moussaka. I have never bought minced chicken or turkey but would consider buying it to make burgers with.

Back
Top Bottom