Mistakes that turn out well

Duck59

Guru
Local time
6:51 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
I'm sure we've all done it. You try to make one thing and it doesn't turn out anything like expected. Yesterday, I decided (for some reason) that I fancied having a go at making shortbread. The opening of the oven revealed something that looked about right, though a bit on the thin side. What came out was not, by any stretch of the imagination, shortbread, but turned out to be very edible, rather crumbly and tasty biscuits.

Anyone had any such happy accidents?

I once attempted chocolate muffins which failed to rise and ended up more like brownies. Bloody lovely they were too!

Any sponge or pastry disaster gets turned into chocolate truffles
There's been a few and not the last !

When I was young, I used to make refrigerator cake. This is the layering of biscuits that is like a sandwich. One time I had no biscuit so I used wafers instead. My siblings enjoyed it and they said wafer tasted better than the biscuits that I used before. That was not really a mistake but an improvisation that turned out well and good for me.

I made a cheese and onion pie yesterday and I was particularly pleased with the neatness of the pastry when I put it in the oven. I then turned round to the sink to start clearing up to find the par-boiled onion still in the colander! Then I went to the fridge for a cooking apple to make mini apple pies with the left over pastry trimmings but I must have used it last time and not replaced it. I did however find some tomatoes that needed using up. The end result of these events? -
A delicous tomatoe tart made in a pyrex lid ( I don't have a tart tin small enough). It consisted of a layer of grated cheese, then some of the chopped onion, some finely chopped green pepper and some finely torn basil leaves, covered with sliced tomatoes and more torn basil leaves and baked in the oven for 20 minutes. It was given the thumbs up by Mr K so I'll try and make a bigger one in the future and take a picture next time. The cheese and no onion pie was apparantly too cheesy without the onion!

I had just started putting the ingredients for a couple of loaves into my bread maker one day, when unexpected visitors turned up. I finished putting the ingredients in and set the bread maker to knead, and went back into the other room to speak to my visitors. They could only stay about an hour and a half, because they were en route to somewhere else, so when they left, I went back out into the kitchen to shape the loaves. Quelle horreur! The dough hadn't risen. The new tin of yeast was still on the side, unopened. I'd forgotten to put it in! That batch of dough was quickly converted into some flatbreads and some biscuits, and they were all lovely.

Back
Top Bottom