The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
2:51 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0901.JPG

I'm stunned by how many variations there are for certain mixed drinks. I am by no means an expert - I typically choose to drink a beer if I drink - but every so often something comes along that gets my attention. To be honest, this could have been just a ho-hum recipe without the right rum. If you have a crappy rum, you will end up with a crappy mojito. I grew up thinking rum was something to be diluted with Coke. But, Pilar rum is a truly magical creation: you can absolutely taste the brown sugar with every sip. It's terrific by itself, but it becomes something really special with this recipe.
img_861_1.jpg

Ingredients

2 ounces rum
10 mint leaves, torn
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon sugar,
4 ounces club soda

Directions
  1. Grind sugar in a spice grinder until it become a powder. This will allow it to dissolve completely in the liquid. Otherwise, allow plenty of time for the sugar to dissolve.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a drink shaker with ice. Shake for 30 seconds.
  3. Pour into a glass, filtering out the mint leaves.
  4. Add a mint leaf as a garnish if desired.
  5. Repeat.

mmmmMojito! Great thought your recipe @The Late Night Gourmet :thumbsup:
I love mojito a lot but It's very difficult to find someone who is very good to make it..at least in Saronno where I live. In Milano is different but sometimes happens that I taste too much sugar inside or too much rum or too much lime.
Anyway I'm quite sure your mojito is super! Molto bravo.
Now I'm craving for a mojito! Detroit is too far from here...:happy:

Last edited:
Interesting.... as you say, think of rum of something you mix with coke or some fruity,"paper umbrella" cocktail. Enjoy mojitos.Sounds like that rum is worth a try 'straight up" ...

P.S....Use rum in my flaming banana's Foster !!..Now there's a good use for rum... :):):)

Tell me more!
I know it's bananas, brown sugar, butter, and rum. The rum is ignited in a pan to create a syrup with the butter and brown sugar (two baking buddies in too many things to name). The bananas get subtly cooked to somehow make them even creamier. I've never tried to make it, but it's heaven.

Last year we stayed at a hotel the evening before our flight out to our holiday, the hotel barman made me a mojito and it was very sweet, however when we were on holiday the bar staff made me a mojito and it was sour but boy did it taste good-much better than the sweet one :thumbsup:

I know it's bananas, brown sugar, butter, and rum. The rum is ignited in a pan to create a syrup with the butter and brown sugar (two baking buddies in too many things to name). The bananas get subtly cooked to somehow make them even creamier. I've never tried to make it, but it's heaven.
I made something similar for dessert years ago (It was in the early 1970s - I still lived in my flat!). A real throwback dessert. but rather expensive - I did substitute sherry for the rum on another earlier occasion - and finished off in the oven.

And before anyone says anything, in those days I could eat bananas so long as they were cooked. However, times and allergies have progressed a little :D

P.S. I don't like mojitos!

Back
Top Bottom