Mongolian BBQ beef?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:20 AM
Mongolian BBQ is pretty darned yummy. I guess it was invented in Taiwan and is not Mongolian or BBQ, apparently.

Mongolian barbecue - Wikipedia

I have been looking over some recipes online and found one I like pretty well. Since I have an excess of steak from my latest meat score, I was planning on using a NY strip steak (one side of the bone on the porterhouse steak, the other side being the filet/tenderlion). I am going to serve it with some broccoil, red and yellow bell pepper, and red onion over basmati rice. I don't have any green onion that's viable (my garden is frozen) and I forgot to buy it, but I do have fresh cilantro and sesame seeds so I will top it with that.

Mongolian Beef Recipe

Has anyone ever tried to make Mongolian-style beef? If so, would you care to share a recipe or any tips here?

Edited to add that I had a complete brain lapse and somehow forgot that it was msmofet's post and photo from another thread that inspired me to try making it!

Last edited:
Well I made it and liked it. I have ideas on how to do it better next time. This time I had cooked the beef strips, added the sauce and precooked vegetables back into the beef, then served it over the rice. Hubby loved the beef when I gave him a taste test after the initial cook of the beef only, and since it was dredged in cornstarch it was crispy. Adding the sauce and veggies back into it made the beef no longer crisp, so it wasn't as good. I get it. The crispy beef texture was a nice added texture. Next time I will set the beef aside and add the sauce and veggies together, serve them over the rice, and have the crispy beef on the side. I still thought the flavors were really good!

Well I made it and liked it. I have ideas on how to do it better next time. This time I had cooked the beef strips, added the sauce and precooked vegetables back into the beef, then served it over the rice. Hubby loved the beef when I gave him a taste test after the initial cook of the beef only, and since it was dredged in cornstarch it was crispy. Adding the sauce and veggies back into it made the beef no longer crisp, so it wasn't as good. I get it. The crispy beef texture was a nice added texture. Next time I will set the beef aside and add the sauce and veggies together, serve them over the rice, and have the crispy beef on the side. I still thought the flavors were really good!
I like the recipe and I have lots of strip steak. Next week I think. Ta.

Russ

I like the recipe and I have lots of strip steak. Next week I think. Ta.

Russ
I had already marinated the NY strip in a soy and garlic based marinade overnight. Originally I was was just going to grill it and have typical sides before I found that recipe and decided to try something new. I think marinating it was a good idea so the beef had extra flavor.

Last edited:
I had already marinated the NY strip in a soy and garlic based marinade overnight. Originally I was was just going to grill it and have typical sides before I found that recipe and decided to try something new. I think marinating it was a good idea so the beef had extra flavor.
I will do the same .

Russ

And now I am in a char sui frame of mind and I want to make it. My biggest problem with both the Mongolian beef and the char sui is that I have no idea how they are supposed to taste because I have never eaten them before.

But I have an idea about preparing that char sui and wondering if I can marinade the pork loin (sliced) and instead of baking/roasting it, I would dredge it in cornstarch and then fry it crispy in my wok? I would use the reserved marinade to cook down separately for a dipping sauce and serve it on the side next to some rice and veggies (maybe I would drizzle the sauce over them). I guess it would be called something completely different after that, LOL. I wish I knew what it was supposed to taste like!!!!! Also thinking I might want to try using pork tenderloin instead since I have a habit of my pork loin being too dry. Sigh. Maybe marinating it overnight in the sauce would keep that from happening?

Back
Top Bottom