Monkfish cheeks

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
9:07 PM
Impulse buy at the fishmongers today, what do I do with them? Was thinking deep fried in tempura batter with a lemon mayo but they seem a bit skinny for that. Any suggestions?

I've only managed to get hold of them once before! A delicacy. They should be about the size of a scallop and if you treat them as you would a scallop, you won't go far wrong. Best as a starter, I think.

Deep frying in tempura would work, I'm sure. When I cooked them, I pan fried them in butter and then added a little whisky to the pan, flamed it and stirred through some cream. Then I topped the dish with finely crumbled crispy bacon. There is one thing to look out for. Rather like monkfish tails they are covered by a thin membrane. If you leave it on, it will contract under the heat and the cheeks can get toughened. The fishmonger might have removed it though...

Membranes removed (very easy) and tempura battered. Most of the batter fell off in the oil - not my finest hour. They tasted good though, did a lemon mayo and a hot sweet chilli dip to go with them.

Back
Top Bottom