The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:10 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0667.JPG

Similar to my other cauliflower soups, but with ras el hanout as the main seasoning (this is the "Moroccan" in the recipe...I don't know if this is actually eaten in Morocco), and topped with sauteed mushrooms. I used baby bellas, but any mushroom should work.

Also, note that I use a pressure cooker here, but really this can be done in any large pot: it'll just take more than 7 minutes to make, that's all.

Ingredients

4 tablespoons light butter
1 small onion, diced
2 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix
1 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 large head cauliflower, diced
3 medium red apples, peeled and diced
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced

Directions
  1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pressure cooker pot with the top off. Add diced onion. Sweat the onion until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in saffron (crushed), ras el hanout, and red pepper flakes.
  2. Add cauliflower and apple pieces and stir for another 3 minutes, making sure to coat everything with the seasoning. Add cauliflower pieces and repeat the process, cooking for another 3 minutes and stirring frequently to coat.
  3. Add stock, scraping any browned material from the bottom of the pot, and stir. Seal pressure cooker and raise heat to High. Once it starts to hiss, reduce heat to Low and cook for 7 minutes.
  4. While the rest of the soup is cooking, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan and sautee mushrooms, stirring frequently to coat all of them with butter. Drain excess moisture and set aside.
  5. After safely opening the pressure cooker, confirm that cauliflower is tender. If not, continue cooking with the top off the pressure cooker until it is.
  6. Stir in half-and-half and add salt and pepper, adjusting to suit your personal taste.
  7. Transfer to a food processor, working in batches until pureed, then return to the pot.
  8. Serve soup and top with sauteed mushrooms.

I agree that it is fascinating - an unusual combination of ingredients, I think. That is not a bad thing! I am going to have to try it out.

I agree that it is fascinating - an unusual combination of ingredients, I think. That is not a bad thing! I am going to have to try it out.
As you mention in the Spice Challenge thread, restraint with the saffron is the key. I actually used a bit more than some might have chosen to use here. But, I think the floral qualities of the saffron play well with the heat of the pepper (and, next time, I think I'll try a fresh pepper instead of pepper flakes).

View attachment 10225
Similar to my other cauliflower soups, but with ras el hanout as the main seasoning (this is the "Moroccan" in the recipe...I don't know if this is actually eaten in Morocco), and topped with sauteed mushrooms. I used baby bellas, but any mushroom should work.

Also, note that I use a pressure cooker here, but really this can be done in any large pot: it'll just take more than 7 minutes to make, that's all.

Ingredients

4 tablespoons light butter
1 small onion, diced
2 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix
1 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 large head cauliflower, diced
3 medium red apples, peeled and diced
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced

Directions
  1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pressure cooker pot with the top off. Add diced onion. Sweat the onion until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in saffron (crushed), ras el hanout, and red pepper flakes.
  2. Add cauliflower and apple pieces and stir for another 3 minutes, making sure to coat everything with the seasoning. Add cauliflower pieces and repeat the process, cooking for another 3 minutes and stirring frequently to coat.
  3. Add stock, scraping any browned material from the bottom of the pot, and stir. Seal pressure cooker and raise heat to High. Once it starts to hiss, reduce heat to Low and cook for 7 minutes.
  4. While the rest of the soup is cooking, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan and sautee mushrooms, stirring frequently to coat all of them with butter. Drain excess moisture and set aside.
  5. After safely opening the pressure cooker, confirm that cauliflower is tender. If not, continue cooking with the top off the pressure cooker until it is.
  6. Stir in half-and-half and add salt and pepper, adjusting to suit your personal taste.
  7. Transfer to a food processor, working in batches until pureed, then return to the pot.
  8. Serve soup and top with sauteed mushrooms.

Apart from the butter this is vegan. My partner is vegan so I am on the look out for interesting vegan recipes. He loves mushrooms so this caught my attention. I am sure I could use vegan margarine instead. Heh! Thanks!

Apart from the butter this is vegan. My partner is vegan so I am on the look out for interesting vegan recipes. He loves mushrooms so this caught my attention. I am sure I could use vegan margarine instead. Heh! Thanks!
The butter is primarily used to saute, so you could also replace it with a vegetable oil. And, the half-and-half can be replaced with almond milk, too.

Back
Top Bottom