Recipe Moroccan Roasted garlic Carrots

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
4:08 AM
Take roasted carrots to the next level with this hasselback version of a vegetable-side favorite. Adding thin hasselback cuts to whole carrots not only allows more flavor to seep into the veggies, it also speeds up the cooking time.”
Ingredients
    • 4 medium carrots, trimmed
    • 2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
    • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon paprika
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
    • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
    • ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    • 1 tablespoon chopped Kalamata olives
Directions
  • 1Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray or line with foil.
  • 2Make crosswise cuts every ¼ inch along each carrot, slicing almost to the bottom but not all the way through. Fill as many cuts as possible with a garlic slice. Carefully transfer the carrots to the prepared baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
  • 3Bake the carrots until just tender, 25 to 35 minutes.
  • 4Meanwhile, combine lemon juice, paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl.
  • 5Transfer the carrots to a serving platter. Drizzle the dressing over the carrots. Top with parsley and olives. Serve warm or at room temperature.

This was the best part of the dinner. These carrots were amazing. Cooking time was closer to 40 minutes.

20180729_093341.jpg

20180729_180643.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really must try this recipe - the humble carrot becomes a star!

I served a total of five people yesterday. The carrots were the resounding favorite. I'm guessing a Mandolin would have made slicing the garlic a little easier. Stuffing the carrots was a lot more difficult than I imagined. At one point a small piece of carrot snapped off and hit the floor. You would have thought it was a ribeye the way the three dogs went crazy over it. After that I had to lock them in the other room.

The marinade paired very well with the roasted garlic and carrots. The carrots were a great side dish to the rice and chicken.

I served a total of five people yesterday. The carrots were the resounding favorite. I'm guessing a Mandolin would have made slicing the garlic a little easier. Stuffing the carrots was a lot more difficult than I imagined. At one point a small piece of carrot snapped off and hit the floor. You would have thought it was a ribeye the way the three dogs went crazy over it. After that I had to lock them in the other room.

The marinade paired very well with the roasted garlic and carrots. The carrots were a great side dish to the rice and chicken.

I had a Sheltie once that would eat pepperoncicis. Not that he liked them, just so none of the other dogs would get them.

I really like this idea. Heck....I like any excuse to add garlic to things. I can imagine the trouble with cutting the carrots that way: they're more brittle than a potato or an eggplant, so they're less cooperative.

Did you cook them on the grill? Extra bonus points for that if you did!

I really like this idea. Heck....I like any excuse to add garlic to things. I can imagine the trouble with cutting the carrots that way: they're more brittle than a potato or an eggplant, so they're less cooperative.

Did you cook them on the grill? Extra bonus points for that if you did!

I contemplated. but decided to test ot my new oven. Glad I did

I wonder if it would make it easier if you parcooked the carrots by steaming them for 5-10 minutes, then making the cuts and stuffing them with the garlic slices?

A tip I learned somewhere long ago when making hasselback cuts is to put something like the handle of a wooden spoon alongside whatever you are cutting so you won't accidentally go all the way through. Obviously with a carrot, it would have to be a flat handle of something.

Yes, a mandoline makes it very easy to cut extremely thin slices of garlic. We have used https://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Adju...locphy=9011894&hvtargid=pla-82830722940&psc=1 for I don't know how many years, replacing it once because the ceramic blade eventually started to get dull. It's nice because it's adjustable. I have even used it to cut truffles because it shaves extremely thin on the #1 setting.

Last edited:
I wonder if it would make it easier if you parcooked the carrots by steaming them for 5-10 minutes, then making the cuts and stuffing them with the garlic slices?

A tip I learned somewhere long ago when making hasselback cuts is to put something like the handle of a wooden spoon alongside whatever you are cutting so you won't accidentally go all the way through. Obviously with a carrot, it would have to be a flat handle of something.

Yes, a mandoline makes it very easy to cut extremely thin slices of garlic. We have used https://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Adju...locphy=9011894&hvtargid=pla-82830722940&psc=1 for I don't know how many years, replacing it once because the ceramic blade eventually started to get dull. It's nice because it's adjustable. I have even used it to cut truffles because it shaves extremely thin on the #1 setting.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom