Most "underrated" vegetables?

I'm not sure if it's underrated, but here's a vegetable I love - purple sprouting broccoli. Wonderful with anything, but especially nice in a vegetable curry.

Broccoli_PurpleSprouting.jpg

I'm not sure if it's underrated, but here's a vegetable I love - purple sprouting broccoli. Wonderful with anything, but especially nice in a vegetable curry.]

For some reason, I've never thought of putting purple sprouting broccoli (or any broccoli) in a curry. Maybe its because its not a veg you find in India (at least I don't think you do). Can you post a recipe, please?

For some reason, I've never thought of putting purple sprouting broccoli (or any broccoli) in a curry. Maybe its because its not a veg you find in India (at least I don't think you do). Can you post a recipe, please?

Well I have to say, we do have broccoli but only the green one. This is the first time ever that I have seen purple broccoli. This is quite an eye opener for me. It would also be interesting to have any kind in a curry. I wonder at what point you'd add it. I too am interested in some recipes. I'll surely check this one out but I am positive we have no purple broccoli in these parts.

Brussel sprouts are HUGELY underrated. Yes they taste crap when you don't know how to cook them, but if you just cut them up, toss with oil and salt and pepper, they'll be delicious roasted
When they are growing the sprout ,they remove the sprout top to get the actual sprout to grow more efficiently ,this top can just be disguarded,I have been getting hold of the sprout tops for a few years it's a really versatile green and is becoming more well known for its low price ,taste and availability

I don't really work with recipes, but I treat it in the same way as 'green' broccoli. It has a very similar texture and I steam it for a short while and then just lob it into the pot with everything else. Nothing very technical, I'm afraid, but it certainly tastes nice.

I found this recipe, which might provide an idea or two:
http://www.multicultikitchen.com/2013/09/chickpea-mushroom-and-purple-sprouting.html

Thank you. You are a creator of your own dishes? So am I but I often start with a recipe. When you mentioned the curry I wondered if you were going to use it early or late in the stew to disintegrate and provide some thickening or something like that. I have to tell you this purple broccoli would be great for my table when I have guest. I love colour in my cooking especially when I entertain. I often look at vegetables when I travel to the States and even there I have not seen it.

Thank you. You are a creator of your own dishes? So am I but I often start with a recipe. When you mentioned the curry I wondered if you were going to use it early or late in the stew to disintegrate and provide some thickening or something like that. I have to tell you this purple broccoli would be great for my table when I have guest. I love colour in my cooking especially when I entertain. I often look at vegetables when I travel to the States and even there I have not seen it.

I'm very much a 'make it up as you go along' type of cook. As far as the purple broccoli goes, I put it into a curry quite late so that it doesn't go mushy.

Meanwhile, colourful cauliflower:

CaulliDM_468x518.jpg

A lot of people don't seem to like parsnips. I love them. I like using them in spicy dishes, because the natural sweetness of the parsnip provides a nice counterbalance to the hot stuff around it.

A lot of people don't seem to like parsnips. I love them. I like using them in spicy dishes, because the natural sweetness of the parsnip provides a nice counterbalance to the hot stuff around it.
See my post and @Berties post earlier in the thread. There are a few ideas for savoury dishes which you may like...

Back
Top Bottom