Recipe Mulate's Crab Au Gratin

CraigC

Guru
Local time
7:45 AM
Mulate's has several locations. I have only been to the NOLA location. Even though it is across the street from a convention center, the food is pretty good. This recipe is one we really like. I warn you it is very rich. The crab meat used is from blue crabs, but I'm sure other jumbo lump will work. It is great with thin sliced and toasted French bread. Serves 6 to 8 as an appetizer.

Ingredients
1 stick butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 tablespoons flour
2 cups half-and-half
1½ cups whole milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 egg yolks
2 lbs jumbo lump crab meat, picked for shells
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, for topping

Directions
Preheat oven to 400˚F
1) In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
2) Add onion; sauté for about 10 minutes.
3) Add seasonings, then flour, while stirring constantly.
4) Add half-and-half and milk, and bring to a boil.
5) Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese. When the cheese has melted, remove from heat.
6) Add egg yolks; mix well.
7) Fold in crab meat.
8) Put in buttered gratin dishes. Top each with cheese.
9) Bake gratins at 400˚F for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.

Cheddar cheese, cream, egg yolks and crab - that certainly is a rich combo. Delicious as it no doubt is I doubt my tummy could cope! I could probably manage this as a filling in a little vol-au-vent though.

Cheddar cheese, cream, egg yolks and crab - that certainly is a rich combo. Delicious as it no doubt is I doubt my tummy could cope! I could probably manage this as a filling in a little vol-au-vent though.

It is certainly not something to have very often, beside being very rich, the cost of the crab is "very rich".

Ooh, ooh, this is do-able. I just bought 2 big tins of lump crabmeat at a remarkable sale price. Less than $10 per pound.

I was looking for a good use for them. I really didn't just want to do crabcakes or crab sugo over angelhair again. Thanks once again, Craigsy.

Have you tried that yet? I think it would be cooking the crab meat and I don't know that I would want that because it seems like it would get dried out?

Have you tried that yet? I think it would be cooking the crab meat and I don't know that I would want that because it seems like it would get dried out?
Yes...I've done it, and it works without drying out the crab. I was worried about that, too, but 60 seconds under the broiler doesn't have a noticeable effect.

On the other hand, I've always then used the crab for crab cakes: maybe I'd notice a difference if I were just adding it fresh to a salad.

Back
Top Bottom