Recipe Mushroom Soup

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
1:11 AM
I'm leaving soon to meet some friends for beer and poker. I thought I would surprise my wife. I made mushroom soup for her when she gets home from work. Outs one of her favorites.

FWIW, mushrooms are one of the very few things that I don't like to eat lol

Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 chopped onions
  • 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup (opened by accident, so I just used it)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I halfed this)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
Directions
  1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions in the butter for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce and broth. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
  2. In a separate small bowl, whisk the milk and flour together. Pour this into the soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, parsley and sour cream. Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Serve immediately.

I thought it tasted disgusting. I don't like mushrooms. I don't care for their flavor or texture. Colleen loved it. I've made this for her a few times. She said this was the best yet.

20180303_101409.jpg
20180303_102315.jpg
20180303_142005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one. Trying to recall the name of them lol.

I use these quite often and you'll see them in my most recent recipes. They are Crimini Mushrooms and are native to both Europe and North America.

Baby shiitake Mushrooms look like Crimini, but when they get more mature, flare out to form flat disks.

I love mushrooms and use them in many dishes. I would love mushroom soup. The mushrooms I use most often are Crimini and or baby bella. Dried wild mushrooms for an intense flavor punch.

Crimini Mushrooms
Crimini is the same as chestnut mushrooms. Chestnuts (crimini), baby bella (portabellini or baby portabellini) and Portabello are all the same mushroom. They are just are different stages of growth.

I'm slightly unclear whether button mushrooms (the small white ones) are an even babier version! Different websites have different info regarding that. In parts of Europe they are known as Paris mushrooms.

OK googled again - I think I'm safe in saying they are all the same mushroom - the common mushroom or Agaricus bisporus:

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_bisporus

Last edited:
I do not think white button mushrooms are in the same family. They lack the texture and the flavor of brown mushrooms. I never use button mushrooms for that reason. They are nothing but filler.

I do not think white button mushrooms are in the same family. They lack the texture and the flavor of brown mushrooms. I never use button mushrooms for that reason. They are nothing but filler.

See my edit above - they lack flavour because they are immature, I believe.

Although this website says they are a different strain of Agaricus:

Despite their differing appearances, white button and cremini mushrooms (and portobellos) actually belong to the same mushroom species, Agaricus bisporus. Creminis are mini-portobellos, brown in hue and evenly rounded. We think of creminis as a recent introduction to the marketplace, but all button mushrooms were actually brown until 1926, when a mushroom farmer in Pennsylvania found a cluster of white buttons growing in his beds, which he cloned and began selling as a new variety, which tend to be a bit cheaper than creminis. Does the loss of color mean a loss of flavor?

8605-do-white-and-brown-mushrooms-taste-different

There are several companies you can order from. We've gotten fresh cepes (porcini), morels, trumpets, chanterels, lobster, hen of the woods and of course both domestic and imported black truffles. They have white truffles, but out of my price range. The local Asian markets carry a variety of fresh mushrooms, but just those used in those cuisines. I'm not opposed to paying a little extra a few times a year. The mushroom bread pudding is extra tasty with fresh wild mushrooms.

Just one. Trying to recall the name of them lol.

I use these quite often and you'll see them in my most recent recipes. They are Crimini Mushrooms and are native to both Europe and North America.

Baby shiitake and Baby Portabello Mushrooms look like Crimini, but when they get more mature, flare out to form flat disks.

I think if you add some chopped chicken to your soup, you'll have something worth entering in the challenge.

Back
Top Bottom