Mushroom sub because of allergy

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:26 PM
We decided to have prime rib and mushroom bread pudding for our Christmas with our DD, DGDs, and a couple of guests when we go see them next weekend. Big problem though, 1 of the guests is highly allergic to mushrooms. I thought about making 1 bread pudding with mushrooms and 1 without, but in talking about it, Craig and I decided we don't want to take the chance with cross contamination. Yes, the allergy is that bad. So, either I leave them out entirely or I sub something else. I was kind of thinking maybe tofu marinated in a little sesame oil, but I'm not sure. It would probably also be really good without the mushrooms. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Were you going to serve it as a side dish or as a sweet dessert?

Rather than substituting an ingredient, I would make one dish everyone can eat.

Epicurious and Toronto Star has a great-looking easy recipe for Mini provolone popovers. Or, perhaps, you could make a festive bread pudding with cranberries and walnuts or raisins and walnuts.

It's a side, a savory bread pudding, that's why I put in the link to the recipe, and I don't want to make something else. It's a tradition.

Besides the fact that several people won't eat raisins and most don't like cranberries. And, since we are traveling, I want to make things at home and take with us to finish in the oven or stovetop at DDs. Her kitchen is tiny and, since she is not a big fan of cooking, rather limited. We're taking enough stuff over there as is, don't want to have to take anymore kitchen stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not sure tofu would work very well - the texture might be a bit weird? Not sure. You want something with a bit of a savoury umami flavour. One thing that might be worth doing if you simply leave them out is increasing the amount of onion and cooking the union until caramelised. That might provide more depth of flavour.

@Karen W mentioned provolone which could be interesting - perhaps cheese could be a substitute for mushrooms?

If you do use tofu I'd suggest marinating in soy sauce to get more of a savoury taste - tempeh might work better but I suspect that would be as difficult for you to find as it is for me to find here!

Actually, I do know where to get tempeh, Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) carries it here. It would just require a trip a bit out of the way. Happened to notice it when we were in there looking for something else.

I had thought about increasing the onions and garlic if I just left the mushrooms out entirely. Didn't think about letting onions caramelize though. Thanks for that MG.

I'll figure something out, just hoped somebody might have an idea I hadn't thought about.

My theory is why should the majority lose out because of the minority..I'd go ahead and make your mushroom thing and maybe sub something in for the person who is allergic..but, that's just me..In my business I have grown tired of trying to accommodate allergies, sensitivities, modifications to dishes, etc..you can't please everybody because there are so many and they are coming up with new ones every day, so why try?
Thanks..I needed to get that off of my chest..lol..

Last edited:
My theory is why should the majority lose out because of the minority..I'd go ahead and make your mushroom thing and maybe sub something in for the person who is allergic..but, that's just me..In my business I have grown tired of trying to accommodate allergies, sensitivities, modifications to dishes, etc..you can't please everybody because there are so many and they are coming up with new ones every day, so why try?
Thanks..I needed to get that off of my chest..lol..

Yeah, I can see it is an insoluble problem in a restaurant context. A lot of restaurants do offer vegan options and nearly all have vegetarian options here but catering for gluten free, dairy free, peanut allergies etc. etc. at the same time is almost impossible I think.

Its different when its family and friends though. I've been cooking vegan for a while now as my son is vegan and I learned an enormous amount about how to really use flavour and vegetables in a way I might not have done otherwise. I devised lots of dishes that were 'two way' and included meat for meat eaters but could also be made vegan using the same basic recipe. Curry is a good example.

But I perfectly understand the problem in a catering or restaurant context.

I can understand your trying to accommodate your son..I would do the same..but, what about a girl/boyfriend of one of your kids, or grand kids? You are making a traditional dinner that 12-14 people have eaten on that date for the last 30 years and now you have to change things? I don't think it is fair all of the others who are perfectly happy with the usual offerings..I wouldn't go out of my way to make too much extra for one person. Surely there is something on the table they can find to fill the void for one dinner..have an extra scoop of mashed potaotes..or some more salad..lol..
What's to say that person who is allergic doesn't like onions? Or, is low carb? It never ends..
I'm never snippy about it, I just carry on like normal..but, I won't apologize..I'm a bit of a kitchen nazi, I suppose..comes with a lifetime of trying to please people..

I can understand Rock's point if it's something that causes a minor allergic reaction, BUT, this is an exposure to even a minute amount epipen/then to the hospital reaction. I don't want to be responsible for causing that.

I can understand your trying to accommodate your son..I would do the same..but, what about a girl/boyfriend of one of your kids, or grand kids? You are making a traditional dinner that 12-14 people have eaten on that date for the last 30 years and now you have to change things? I don't think it is fair all of the others who are perfectly happy with the usual offerings..I wouldn't go out of my way to make too much extra for one person. Surely there is something on the table they can find to fill the void for one dinner..have an extra scoop of mashed potaotes..or some more salad..lol..
What's to say that person who is allergic doesn't like onions? Or, is low carb? It never ends..
I'm never snippy about it, I just carry on like normal..but, I won't apologize..I'm a bit of a kitchen nazi, I suppose..comes with a lifetime of trying to please people..

I agree. A dear friend invited me to a few Thanksgivings in her home. Her son always brought that dreaded green bean casserole made with canned soup. Not my cup of tea, so I passed and ate something else.

I can understand Rock's point if it's something that causes a minor allergic reaction, BUT, this is an exposure to even a minute amount epipen/then to the hospital reaction. I don't want to be responsible for causing that.
No..you're right..nothing ruins meal more than having to drive somebody to emergency..although, you could just call them a cab..:whistling:

I've joined this discussion a little late, but I really struggle to think of a mushroom substitute. The closest I can come up with is paneer. Would this work?

Back
Top Bottom