Mushroom sub because of allergy

Thanks - we have something very similar to popovers in the UK - they are called Yorkshire puddings. I can see this working as a twist on them.

You took the words out of my mouth. The first thing that came to mind was Yorkshire pudding. Love it with prime rib. Similar, kind of. Without the beef drippings yes?

I can understand Rock's point if it's something that causes a minor allergic reaction, BUT, this is an exposure to even a minute amount epipen/then to the hospital reaction. I don't want to be responsible for causing that.

I agree. Recently there have been cases in the UK about people tragically dying from a peanut allergy after eating prepared food which isn't labelled as containing peanuts. Its a tough call for all cafes and restaurants to clearly label everything which might contain traces of peanuts. This was a major sandwich chain. Not sure what I think about this really.

I can understand your trying to accommodate your son..I would do the same..but, what about a girl/boyfriend of one of your kids, or grand kids? You are making a traditional dinner that 12-14 people have eaten on that date for the last 30 years and now you have to change things?

Well I never cooked for that many! But I'd offer a vegan alternative if I knew some people attending were vegetarian and or vegan. I'm so used to cooking that way now that it wouldn't be difficult at all. But I probably wouldn't cater for those who simply 'don't like' certain ingredients.

What is the difference between an english savory bread pudding and bread stuffing?

My mom made a sweet bread pudding which my brothers were crazy for while me and sis were the opposite, i have never had or even seen a savory pudding unless cornbread stuffing is close.

I had an AHA moment when chopping the garlic for the bread pudding. I had decided just to use extra onions and garlic and caramelize the onions a bit. All of a sudden, black garlic popped in my head, umami, earthy, etc. So, since we happened to have some in the fridge, I pulled out a couple of heads, chopped them up and added to the onions about 5 minutes before adding the regular garlic. The black garlic added a bit too much sweetness, but worked pretty darn well otherwise in regard to umami and earthy. Next time, I'll either not use as much, chop much finer or cook for a bit and mash, or add some bitter or acid notes.

Back
Top Bottom