Mushy Peas

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:16 AM
A recent series of posts in the 'What did you eat today' thread from @Yorky was about mushy peas - I've copied @Yorky's images below. Mushy peas are dried peas which are then soaked and cooked until almost a soup. They are a British side dish often served with fish and chips. I love them.

So, do you eat mushy peas? Do you ever make them yourself or do you buy them in a tin? What do you eat them with? Or perhaps you hate them!

mushy peas s.jpg

mushy peas 2 s.jpg

1 s-2.jpg

Also related to mushy peas are Carlin peas which are traditional in parts of Northern England. They are really very delicious!

6a00d8341c0e7053ef017ee3d6fcad970d.jpg
Image from http://www.chocolateandbeyond.co.uk/2012/10/lancashire-bonfire-black-peas.html

Carlin peas (cajanus cajanwas) are a traditional northern food eaten during lent on Passion Sunday, the Sunday before Palm Sunday.
Carlin Peas are a small, hard brown pea known by many other names, such as; Maple Peas, Pigeon Peas, Brown Peas and Black or Grey Badgers and were first recorded during Elizabethan times.

http://www.heritageandhistory.com/c...ing_wp_cron=1527416477.5577409267425537109375

The thing I hated about the peas in a tin (specifically Batchelors) was the colour. It looked like they were injected with a fluorescene dye. I suppose that it would make them easier to find them in the dark.

batchelors-mushy-peas-500x500.jpg

The thing I hated about the peas in a tin (specifically Batchelors) was the colour. It looked like they were injected with a fluorescene dye. I suppose that it would make them easier to find them in the dark.

batchelors-mushy-peas-500x500.jpg

They do the job but do require a drop or 2 of vinegar to give them a bit of oomph.

Last time I had mushy peas was in the uk. Fish n chip shop up near Edinburgh. They were really nice, tried a few brands from the English shop here. Not the same,lol. Mind you the best ever chips I ever had was from the same shop.

Russ

I'm also aware of the pie floater in ozzy. We grew up with pea pie and pud. A pity I never took a pic of my dinner one night last week. A heated pie like the one you posted with a dollop of mashed spud, peas on top and then a few slices of Beetroot and a slice or two of onion. Voila.... Pea pie n pud.

Russ

This is such a distinctly British thing...it's hard to imagine many Americans ordering them (if we can even find them). I love peas, and I love seasoning peas with some of the things that go into mushy peas (salt, pepper, butter, garlic), but I can't understand the appeal of adding cream. I had some in a pub in England once, and they were....not good. But, I'm also very open-minded to new things, and I'm sure someone has a can't-miss recipe, so...please share. :)

This is such a distinctly British thing...it's hard to imagine many Americans ordering them (if we can even find them). I love peas, and I love seasoning peas with some of the things that go into mushy peas (salt, pepper, butter, garlic), but I can't understand the appeal of adding cream. I had some in a pub in England once, and they were....not good. But, I'm also very open-minded to new things, and I'm sure someone has a can't-miss recipe, so...please share. :)

Who said anything about adding cream? Proper mushy peas are certainly not made with cream. They are a dried pea so go mushy through cooking, like some dried beans do.

I love them. My husband whose dad is a Yorkshire man introduced me to mushy peas with my fish and chips. It isn' as common in the south and the local chip shops certainly did not serve them. I think it has changed a bit now.

I'e made them with frozen marrow fat peas but not dried.

Has anyone had/made pea wet or pea fritters? Also regional variations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom