Musicians in the news

I lived in NOLA for 4 years - '84 - '88. Saw Billie Joel perform in a small local bar. Also saw Ray Charles perform in a very small venue - 25 bistro tables -= 50 people. My table was 10' from his piano. After his performance he walked the floor and shook hands with everyone in the audience. :woot: I did not wash my hands for a week!! Another small venue - the great Louis Armstrong. Love Tina Turner. She is no young chick but can still rock a stage. Her athleticism amazes me. Sad that she suffered so much at the hands of that animal she was married to. Willie Nelson at the Saenger Theater. Great performance. Numerous, amazing artist at Jazz Fest.

IDK if you are familiar with Aaron Neville. I have seen him perform several times both in NOLA and Lafayette. He is a big, bad ass biker looking dude with the voice of an angel.

My taste in music is very eclectic. I forgot to mention Ella Fitzgerald - the Queen of Scat. Mahailia Jackson - the Queen of Gospel. Unfortunately so many of the recordings of great artist are very poor quality.

My dad has a Louis Armstrong autograph of the '40s (I'm not exatly sure about the year, but that was the period). Louis Armstrong did a tour in Italy and Foggia City (Puglia) was one of the cities where he played with his band. My dad saw him to the railstation of Foggia and run to get L.A. to have his autograph..my dad had only a school book and Mr. Armstrong wrote his name on it.

Last edited:
I've seen Neil Diamond twice in Manchester. Brilliant both times, but I couldn't justify paying for a ticket for a 3rd time. I've been a fan since The Jazz Singer came out on the big screen.

@MypinchofItaly
I hope you still have the book with Louis Armstrong's signature. A treasure.

@The Late Night Gourmet
I have never seen The Beatles or any of the individuals in a live performance. :cry: I am a child of "Beatle Mania". I was 11 when they performed on the Ed Sullivan show. My life changed and has never been the same since. Then and now I adore those British "Mop Top" boys. As a group and individually they changed music. There was no genre to their music. It grew and evolved. I am at a loss to truly express the impact that they had on music. I can think of no one in modern times who have influenced and changed music the way they did. Thank you British friends for giving us all these wonderful boys. Loved them then, love them now, will love them always.:love:

@MypinchofItaly
I hope you still have the book with Louis Armstrong's signature. A treasure.

@The Late Night Gourmet
I have never seen The Beatles or any of the individuals in a live performance. :cry: I am a child of "Beatle Mania". I was 11 when they performed on the Ed Sullivan show. My life changed and has never been the same since. Then and now I adore those British "Mop Top" boys. As a group and individually they changed music. There was no genre to their music. It grew and evolved. I am at a loss to truly express the impact that they had on music. I can think of no one in modern times who have influenced and changed music the way they did. Thank you British friends for giving us all these wonderful boys. Loved them then, love them now, will love them always.:love:

@ElizabethB surely my dad has already it, he is very proud of this signature..

A couple of years ago, Karen and I went to see Celtic Woman in Ft. Lauderdale. Loved it! For me, I hadn't been to a concert since 1987, Alabama was the group. I only went to two concerts in the "70s, Chicago and Black Sabbath (with Ozzie). These groups are known to most everyone. I have seen Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys, BeauSoleil, File, Geno Delafose & French Rookin' Boogie several times, all are Cajun/Zydeco groups. I have also been to several, very casual Blue Grass Festivals.

Back
Top Bottom