My brain stores useless information

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
8:35 PM
My brain is great at storing useless information but rubbish at storing useful information that I actually need.

We just watched the 2nd Paddington film, I knew so many of the actors in the film but important dates don't stay put nor does really useful stuff I genuinly need. Is this a blonde/age/genetic thing?

Are you blonde?

If yes, give me your answer tommorow, but only after reading this again.

The brain is truely amazing, same as the human body, never ceases to amaze me at how much punishment your body can take. Memory ....up til now I've been blessed with a great memory, I still know my old bank card with 13 digits from 10 years ago, I bank into a separate account and I normally take a wee card with bank account, to make deposits. Last week I forgot the card and took the slip to the teller. I apoligised for not filling it out, she said I will look it up. I said I think it's ............ She punched it up and it was right. Somehow the amount of times ( not many) I had stored the 15 digit in my brain. The lady remarked at my memory. I kinda wasn't surprised.

Russ

I believe that your ability to remember things is caused by a number of factors:
  • How important those things are to you. If you find that you keep forgetting certain things, maybe you need to reexamine how important those things are to you. If you can remember the starting lineup of your favorite sports team from 20 years ago, but you forget relative's birthdays, I think you have your answer.
  • Fatigue. My brain is much sharper when I'm well-rested than it is when I'm tired. I don't get much sleep as it stands, and things get worse if I have a bad night's sleep.
  • How busy you are in general. If I have a lot of different things that I need to keep straight - deadlines at work, appointments, birthdays - there's a good chance I'm going to forget something relatively minor that I also need to remember. And, if there are multiple appointments for things in a close span of time, there's a chance that something important will get missed.
  • How many things you need to remember right now. This sounds like the same thing as the previous one, but it's somewhat different. Here's an example: I want to get a drink from the refrigerator, so...
    • If nothing gets in the way, then it's easy: I go downstairs, I get the drink, and I come back upstairs with the drink. This is the theory, at least, since I don't think this has ever happened.
    • Almost invariably, something like this happens:
      • As I get downstairs, my son starts talking to me about a video game he was playing, or some other thing that interests him.
      • I see that there are empty boxes from a frozen dinner that someone didn't throw away. I don't want to just clean up someone else's mess for them, so I find who did it and ask them to please clean up after themselves (ironically, there's a connection between video games and pizza).
      • When I open the refrigerator, I see that the light is burned out. Fortunately, I have a replacement, so I fix it.
      • I also see that the diet Pepsi case is almost empty, so I get a new case so we won't have warm drinks.
      • I see that this is the last case of diet Pepsi, so I either add that to the shopping list, or start a new list.
      • I go back upstairs, and then realize...that I forgot to get the drink I went downstairs to get in the first place.
Now, combine all those factors, and the fact that I'm also not young seems to be a relatively minor point. At least, that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

Last edited:
I believe that your ability to remember things is caused by a number of factors:
  • How important those things are to you. If you find that you keep forgetting certain things, maybe you need to reexamine how important those things are to you. If you can remember the starting lineup of your favorite sports team from 20 years ago, but you forget relative's birthdays, I think you have your answer.
  • Fatigue. My brain is much sharper when I'm well-rested than it is when I'm tired. I don't get much sleep as it stands, and things get worse if I have a bad night's sleep.
  • How busy you are in general. If I have a lot of different things that I need to keep straight - deadlines at work, appointments, birthdays - there's a good chance I'm going to forget something relatively minor that I also need to remember. And, if there are multiple appointments for things in a close span of time, there's a chance that something important will get missed.
  • How many things you need to remember right now. This sounds like the same thing as the previous one, but it's somewhat different. Here's an example: I want to get a drink from the refrigerator, so...
    • If nothing gets in the way, then it's easy: I go downstairs, I get the drink, and I come back upstairs with the drink. This is the theory, at least, since I don't think this has ever happened.
    • Almost invariably, something like this happens:
      • As I get downstairs, my son starts talking to me about a video game he was playing, or some other thing that interests him.
      • I see that there are empty boxes from a frozen dinner that someone didn't throw away. I don't want to just clean up someone else's mess for them, so I find who did it and ask them to please clean up after themselves (ironically, there's a connection between video games and pizza).
      • When I open the refrigerator, I see that the light is burned out. Fortunately, I have a replacement, so I fix it.
      • I also see that the diet Pepsi case is almost empty, so I get a new case so we won't have warm drinks.
      • I see that this is the last case of diet Pepsi, so I either add that to the shopping list, or start a new list.
      • I go back upstairs, and then realize...that I forgot to get the drink I went downstairs to get in the first place.
Now, combine all those factors, and the fact that I'm also not young seems to be a relatively minor point. At least, that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

My job is important to me so forgetting parts of that is not ideal! Lack of sleep definitely doesn't help either but now it is cooler I am sleeping better which is helping a bit. I am not all that busy so my head isn't struggling with a lot-we have a calendar hanging up in the hallway to keep notes of appointments etc.
I can remember trivial stuff that happened years ago but can't always remember what I ate a couple of days ago, significant dates escape me, maybe through choice as they are not good things.

Sometimes I feel as though my head is full of useless clutter that I can't get rid of so there is no room left for important stuff, other days my brain struggles to do the basics and at times my husband expresses concern as I don't appear to be 'with it'.

mybrainisfull.jpg

Don't her me wrong, I've been known to forget simple things. I have a big house so my wife often texts me around 9pm if she wants a snack taken upstairs. 5 mins later I go upstairs without whatever she wanted,lol.

Russ

I bpught a big house and yard for the exact reason that it makes it more difficult for my wife to find me right away.

I could be in the garage, or in the south TV room, or basement, or back by the shed, or in the woods, etc....

This morning we made a meal list for the week then a shopping list and off we went to Sainsburys. Two hours later I had to ask my husband what we were having for dinner :o_o:

Back
Top Bottom