My cookery books

Pete

Über Member
Local time
2:38 PM
IMG_0812.JPG

These are a selection of my cookery books. I did have a lot more, but they seemed to have vanished during a house move a few years ago.
I might have to check a couple of boxes in the attic to see if they're up there.

:)

What is the old big brown one and how old is it?
The pastry sweets looks like a 1960's era. Cool collection.
I collect cookbooks.

What is the old big brown one and how old is it?
The pastry sweets looks like a 1960's era. Cool collection.
I collect cookbooks.
The big old brown one is 1979, It's The Art of Cooking, complete with loads of my typed up and 'printed out' recipes, plus some torn from magazines.
The Pastries one is undated. It cost 25p from a boot fair!

Last count I had about 200. But recently I tend to use on-line more than the books. I note that yours are all rather old books! My latest book is Ottolenghi the Cookbook (Xmas present).

Last edited:
I use on-line recipes more than my books as well. I do have a few recipes that I have to check in my books, Cheese Souffle being one of them.

It's not easy to follow a recipie on a device, you either lock the screen and use up the battery or have to keep unlocking it, so I usually try and print out any recipes from the Internet, I keep them in two files, one for cakes and deserts and one for savoury, along with anything that I've cut out of magasines, people have given me etc.
I have a few books that have various favourite recipes in. The one I've used the most is the Good Housekeeping one that I got for my 21st birthday.

IMG_20170218_152623128.jpg

I've got 50+ cookery books and several folders of recipes cut from magazines and newspapers. I also have a couple of collections (weekly parts) and hundreds on OneNote, as well as e-books and kindle books. My favourite cookery book is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Indian-Cookery-Penguin-Handbook-Dharamjit/0140461418
I bought it in the early 1970s and have already had to replace it once because my cats ate several pages :D. I fear a second replacement will soon be on the cards.

I do wish I had my Mum's old cookery book from the 1920s as she had written many of her own [favourite] recipes in there. The last time I saw that, it was in several pieces held together with an elastic band. I expect my brother dumped it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom