My favourite food out of a tin is...

I'm not averse to a tin of baked beans, although I don't like them cold.

I was once given a giant tin of baked beans. I couldn't tell you the capacity, but it was one that was obviously for use in a canteen. I suspect, though I was never officially told, that it came from a ship's galley. I also suspect the ship's cook was making a bit of money on the side by selling some of the stuff they had on board. This happened in the Eritrean port of Assab and as I had no fridge, it was necessary to eat said beans in a fairly short space of time. I managed to keep them a bit cooler by placing the tin next to the air-conditioning unit, but it was a good three days of bean munching.

Images of Blazing Saddles spring to mind.

I forgot Le Seuer brand very young small sweet peas (that's the actual name on the can. Descriptive, if nothing else).

And various Goya brand beans: red, black, pinto, kidney, and so on.

In the UK there are four types of tinned peas - which type do you have for 'comfort food'?

Garden Peas

View attachment 17205

:eek: :scratchhead:

I think it is these...they are just called 'green peas' here. Those petit ones i think here are called 'early peas' and i like mine larger than that. I have never heard of those other 2.

Yes, most petit peas are called early peas.

We always called garden peas "Army peas". Not sure why. I think it's because they looked like a dented WWII army helmet.

Just looking at my small collection of tinned foods:

Tomato puree
Baked beans
Whole plum tomatoes
Campbell's condensed soups
Button mushrooms

Favourite? If pushed I'd have to go for Branston's ravioli.

Branston Ravioli.jpg

I have probably mentioned before that in the supermarkets here there are aisles full of fish sauce. The same can be said for tinned fish.

We were looking for tinned plum tomatoes once which didn't appear to be on the shelves. An assistant explained that they had them in the back as there was insufficient room on the shelves. I suggested that they could reduce the number of tins of fish to under 10,000 thereby providing more shelf space.

I didn't think of mustard as a tinned food. I buy Coleman 's mustard powder in a tin as the jars of pre-mixed mustard isn't gluten free.

That tin is actually a few years old (Australian Coleman's). I now buy in ½ kg packets and transfer to that tin for everyday use:

mcgarretmustard.jpg

I have probably mentioned before that in the supermarkets here there are aisles full of fish sauce. The same can be said for tinned fish.

We were in the main supermarket this morning - this is the tinned fish aisle (handphone picture):

Canned fish aisle.jpg

Back
Top Bottom