My favourite lentils recipe.

vegan93

Veteran
Local time
5:11 AM
It's a tasteful spicy lentil stew.

You have to cook together any selected vegetables - I usually use potatoes (cubed), carrots, lentils and chickpeas with some sauteed onion.

Add a can of tomato sauce and water.
The stew itself is really your style - and the leftover vegetables in your pantry. The spices make it come to life.

So:
cinnamon
ginger
turmeric
curry
paprika
chili or cayenne
nutmeg

half a teaspoon of every spice
then cook the thing (I like to refer at it as the thing - because it is never the same) for about 40-45 minutes until it is flavourful enough.

Eat it with naan, pita, or tortillas or that not-moldy-yet bread you also have in your pantry.

Easy, cheap and most of the time you don't need anything from the shops to make it.

:)

It's a tasteful spicy lentil stew.

You have to cook together any selected vegetables - I usually use potatoes (cubed), carrots, lentils and chickpeas with some sauteed onion.

Add a can of tomato sauce and water.
The stew itself is really your style - and the leftover vegetables in your pantry. The spices make it come to life.

So:
cinnamon
ginger
turmeric
curry
paprika
chili or cayenne
nutmeg

half a teaspoon of every spice
then cook the thing (I like to refer at it as the thing - because it is never the same) for about 40-45 minutes until it is flavourful enough.

Eat it with naan, pita, or tortillas or that not-moldy-yet bread you also have in your pantry.

Easy, cheap and most of the time you don't need anything from the shops to make it.

:)
So... how are you cooking the vegetables and lentils? You mention sauteed onion - but how are the potatoes, carrots (or whatever is used), cooked? Do you mean that you mix them all with the can of tomato sauce when still raw and then cook?

I like the use of all the spices!

So... how are you cooking the vegetables and lentils? You mention sauteed onion - but how are the potatoes, carrots (or whatever is used), cooked? Do you mean that you mix them all with the can of tomato sauce when still raw and then cook?

I like the use of all the spices!

Am wondering the same... quite an exciting recipe so far. Also, what type of lentils are you using? I am very new to lentils in general, but very much want to learn.

Thank you for your questions! @morning glory @niemela23

Basically I put some vegetable oil or butter in the pan, then fry the onions a little.
Then add any vegetables, raw and cubed if needed.

I cook them together with the spices and the tomato sauce and some water. It takes about 40-45 minutes and you can leave it on the stove top.

For lentils I am using the original cooking lentils - the brown colored ones. But I have seen bright orange or yellow colour lentils in the shops and I would like to try them soon.

It looks really tasty. I never really cooked with lentils, but this diet I am on. there are a few dishes to make with lentils, so I made them for the first time this week. I liked that they didn't have to be pre soaked. I would make the stew thing you described in a heartbeat. It is kind of like a "stone soup" but with lentils. I think it would be very tasty.

Back
Top Bottom