My ideal kitchen style

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:43 AM
If only I could have my dream kitchen. My ideal kitchen would look like a laboratory with completely clear uncluttered counter and masses of storage space with pull-out larders and deep drawers instead of cupboards (I do have some deep pull-out drawers and they're super for storing saucepans and gadgets). The colour scheme would be positively clinical, with glossy white units and sleek monochrome counters...

N.B. This is a thread about kitchen style not which equipment you would have in your kitchen.

I would love a farmhouse style kitchen. Wooden countertops and lots of shelves. Perhaps made from oak.

Wooden countertops are a lovely idea but would prefer to go with a local stone that can be made into the counter tops. Obviously it needs to be a hard one so not much use where I live in a sandstone area, but I have seen some fantastic kitchens in peoples homes over the years and would love something similar.
Shelves are a must for the cookbooks and often used equipment.
A pantry or larder is also a must - it comes in my design of the kitchen and would have more and more open shelves. I have had a couple of homes with one and miss them so much. The best was a long thin one that even I had to watch my head in!
More than one sink would be another must and double drainers either side of both sinks. A veg washing area would be another must.
A lovely wooden drainer...

I don't know about deep pull out drawers though. I keep kitchen equipment either on shelving or in cupboards (OK I know that is shelving as well but) and have always done so. It works best for me.

The colour scheme would be wood colours, creams and if necessary (if no local hard stone) then black or cream granite works surfaces could be permitted with the wood and creams.

Wooden countertops are a lovely idea but would prefer to go with a local stone that can be made into the counter tops. Obviously it needs to be a hard one so not much use where I live in a sandstone area, but I have seen some fantastic kitchens in peoples homes over the years and would love something similar.
Shelves are a must for the cookbooks and often used equipment.
A pantry or larder is also a must - it comes in my design of the kitchen and would have more and more open shelves. I have had a couple of homes with one and miss them so much. The best was a long thin one that even I had to watch my head in!
More than one sink would be another must and double drainers either side of both sinks. A veg washing area would be another must.
A lovely wooden drainer...

I don't know about deep pull out drawers though. I keep kitchen equipment either on shelving or in cupboards (OK I know that is shelving as well but) and have always done so. It works best for me.

The colour scheme would be wood colours, creams and if necessary (if no local hard stone) then black or cream granite works surfaces could be permitted with the wood and creams.

I don't know what I'd do without my larder now. I keep everything in mine and I can see where everything is straight away.

I do agree about a larder. The council house I grew up in had a larder (not a very big one) but it was great to be able to open the door and see all the packets and tins easily accessible on the shelves. If you ever watch Nigella, you'll have noticed she has a larder (of which, I always feel jealous).

When we moved in this 20-year old house, the kitchen was so small that's why when we had the funds for renovation, we spent for the extension. However, even with 2 countertops, our kitchen still looks a bit cramped so when there is a lot of cooking to do, the ingredients are on the dining table where we chop them. My ideal kitchen would have 2 independent countertop tables so the ingredients for cooking will have a permanent place. Anothere thing is the chimney exhaust so the heat will not be trapped.

At home it would be a large larder ,I love my granite work tops ,large fridge ,large stove
But at work I would love a kitchen and you can get them that cleans it self ,you walk out and push a button
Our oven at work cleans it self !

I would love to have a very large farm table in the middle of the kitchen and above it would be that big metal thing where you hang the pots, pans, and other cooking utensils. I also would love to hang some fresh or dried herbs, peppers, even cut flowers on it. One wall would be bricks and large windows to let the air in and another wall would be upcycled barn boards. The shelves are eye level and see through instead of glass I will use chicken wire.

At home it would be a large larder ,I love my granite work tops ,large fridge ,large stove
But at work I would love a kitchen and you can get them that cleans it self ,you walk out and push a button
Our oven at work cleans it self !
A kitchen that cleans itself! How wonderful! I want one.

My Ideal kitchen style would be wide in space, well lighted and ventilated like in our own house my parents residence where I grew up. What I mean is that I want it also that it is all sliding clear glass windows and sliding clear glass door too let me see a beautiful garden outside with flowering plants and green scenery while I am cooking.Our kitchen is like that and we had a beautiful garden surrounding our house that is well maintained by my mother and our gardener. Now I missed our kitchen way back home and one thing it is always organized and clean even everyday the place is always used. And I want my kitchen to be painted in white color and with a touch of color green because I love the cool effect of that color on me. And I already started making my kitchen that way. In fact in my own house now all my kitchen appliances, utensils, tablewares and decorations had a touch of white and green colors which are all pleasant to my sight. I do hope I can also have a kitchen like the one I used to grew up. But since I migrated now in my husband country they had a different style of kitchen that they followed as part of their culture. But someday if I built already my own house in my mother country I know already what is my ideal kitchen style.

Back
Top Bottom