Recipe My mother's Chicken Gizzard Dressing.

pafjlh

Local time
9:22 PM
When I was growing up this was a Thanksgiving tradition in my home. My mother made what is known as Chicken Gizzard dressing. I remember there was a time she had to literally make it from scratch with the break crumbs. Of course over the years box dressing came along. For this recipe Mrs. Cubbisons savory herbs dressing is the best one to use. Now that my mother is gone, I carry on the tradition of making this dressing, since she taught me how to do it. Although, I will admit that I made a few changes to how its done, but it still comes out just a good as it always did. So, in my mom's memory I wish to share that recipe with you.

1 pound Chicken Gizzards

1 box Mrs. Cubbisons Savory Herbs Dressing

11/2 cup butter

1 cup chopped onion

1 1/.2 Cup chopped celery

Ground Sage

Take gizzards out of package and clean. Place them in a saucepan and add enough water to cover the gizzards. Place on medium heat on stove top and let them boil for around an hour until gizzards are tender. After the gizzards are cooked turn off stove top, and used a slotted spoon to removed the gizzards from the liquid to place them on a plate to cool. Add butter, chopped onion, and celery to liquid then turn the stove top on once more letting this cook for about twenty minute then remove heat. When gizzards are cooled cut into half or quarters. Then place back into broth, add the dressing to the sauce pan and mix together. Add the ground sage to taste. In other words how much will depend on the flavor wanted. Mix together, then take a casserole dish of choice and place dressing into casserole dish. Its best to make this a day before using, so cover the casserole dish with foil or lid then place in refrigerator to sit over night. The next day place the casserole dish in the over at 350 degrees for about twenty to thirty minutes.

Needless to say this dish takes awhile to prepare even now. So, is it any wonder I have kept my mothers tradition of only twice a year making it.

Things to note not all the dressing in the box could be used, maybe only half, but it can be stored away. Also, keep an eye on the gizzards as they cook because they can boil over.

Back
Top Bottom