My turkey safe?

dkhawkee

Local time
8:54 PM
Quick question..
Back on the 14th I bought a 22.5 lb turkey. Started to defrost in the fridge.
The plan is to cook it tomorrow the 24th.
Is it still safe? Or do I need to chuck it and find a fresh one?

Welcome to CookingBites @dkhawkee. Do you mean you started to defrost the turkey on the 14th Dec? If so, that is rather a long time. If you only just started defrosting it will be fine.

Yes, I placed in the fridge when I got home. I called Butterball, they said 6-7 days to defrost, yet I keep getting different times on when to cook.

Yes, I placed in the fridge when I got home. I called Butterball, they said 6-7 days to defrost, yet I keep getting different times on when to cook.

6 to 7 days seems a long time to defrost. And that would be 10 days since you put it in the fridge? Looking again I realise this is a very large turkey so it will take a few days to defrost. Once defrosted it should be OK for another few days if kept in the fridge.

Has anyone else here got any thoughts? I confess I have never defrosted a turkey that large!

I Took leg of lamb out this morning and turkey, it will be thawed out as we are about 23 deg c today, 25 deg c tomorrow. The leg, it's big, is in an oven bag sitting in the oven now. I will turn oven on around 10 am tomorrow.
Turkeys I allow 2 days.

Russ

Has anyone else here got any thoughts? I confess I have never defrosted a turkey that large!
@morning glory
Yes, I do. Defrosting in the fridge, first, is a "must", for safety. How long? Depends on a number of things: fridge temperature being the most significant, probably, then size of the bird, original frozen temperature of it, if -10` F, it will take longer. A
week or 10 days should be no problem; when you unwrap the bird, smell it. Typical poultry-like odor is not particularly obnoxious......when baking, start with the breast down, underneath. After about half-way, turn it over. ALWAYS check internal temperature deep in meaty portion, don't contact bone, it's hotter. If center of breast meat reaches 175` F, rest assured the whole bird is cooked through, and any bacteria which may have been present (the ALWAYS are) will be safely disposed of.

Now, of course, if you were microwaving it..........:whistling:

Thanks for all the advice. It boiled down to: 22.5 lb turkey. 6 days to defrost. 4 days in fridge. Will update when it's done. Appreciate it.

Ok, I didn't prep the bird like I usually do, and cooked a bit longer "just to be sure".
Other than a dry, tasteless slab of meat, breaking my 13 year streak of juiciness, nobody got sick. A small win.
Thanks again.

Ok, I didn't prep the bird like I usually do, and cooked a bit longer "just to be sure".
Other than a dry, tasteless slab of meat, breaking my 13 year streak of juiciness, nobody got sick. A small win.
Thanks again.

Oh dear! Well next time you will know.

Back
Top Bottom