Name one meat you don't like

It is all in how you fix them. I love pork.

In our part of the world to get decent pork you have to pay an arm and a leg, otherwise you are stuck with bland and I don't see the point of adding a lot to it just to add some flavour. Maybe where you are it is good quality.

In our part of the world to get decent pork you have to pay an arm and a leg, otherwise you are stuck with bland and I don't see the point of adding a lot to it just to add some flavour. Maybe where you are it is good quality.
And in our neck of the world, pork is usually cheaper than beef. We can get the pork tenderloin for roughly £5.36 a kilogram. Or $2.97 a pound.
I hope I put the correct symbol for your money. Note: I did a USD to GBP exchange.

You will have to give me some tips. When I cook chops they are dry, whats the secret?
Let's see I either fry them on the stove, or put them in a sauce of some sort and bake them.
I think the secret to frying them is lightly coat with flour and fry in a bit of bacon grease. Cook until just done. If you have to keep them warm afterwards wrap in foil and put in a low oven or a West Bend slow cooker.
Note fried pork chops are usually served with mashed tatties and cream gravy.

Let's see I either fry them on the stove, or put them in a sauce of some sort and bake them.
I think the secret to frying them is lightly coat with flour and fry in a bit of bacon grease. Cook until just done. If you have to keep them warm afterwards wrap in foil and put in a low oven or a West Bend slow cooker.
Note fried pork chops are usually served with mashed tatties and cream gravy.
I think gravy helps anything! I haven't tried coating in flour. I just usually fry in veg oil. Well I say usually but haven't done them for a long time due to the dry problem. I may try the baking in a sauce. but for how long and what temperature?

I think gravy helps anything! I haven't tried coating in flour. I just usually fry in veg oil. Well I say usually but haven't done them for a long time due to the dry problem. I may try the baking in a sauce. but for how long and what temperature?
Usually about 180C or 350F for about an hour.
If you want something really good, grab a can of jellied cranberry sauce and a can of crushed pineapple. Pour over the chops and bake till done. If something happens, you can always reheat the next day and they are really fabulous.

You will have to give me some tips. When I cook chops they are dry, whats the secret?
I too used to find pork chops dried out too easily - no matter how carefully I cooked them. Until I came across this method which involves brining them for 30 mins before cooking, then quickly searing them in a pan and finishing them in the oven. All I can say is WOW! The difference it made (even to cheap supermarket chops) was incredible - they were tasty and juicy. I always cook my pork chops this way now.

I too used to find pork chops dried out too easily - no matter how carefully I cooked them. Until I came across this method which involves brining them for 30 mins before cooking, then quickly searing them in a pan and finishing them in the oven. All I can say is WOW! The difference it made (even to cheap supermarket chops) was incredible - they were tasty and juicy. I always cook my pork chops this way now.
That is very interesting. Like @alexander, I find pork goes dry. I have brined other meats but not pork. I'll give it a whilrl. Thanks!:okay:

That sounds like an idea I might try.I am thinking of doing pork fillet at the weekend and will try brining first. Thanks!

Oh, unless you are breading pork chops, you must brine them.

I'll post a Caribbean pork chop brine recipe as soon as I can that was passed on to me by a dear old friend and NYC restauranteur, Jimmy Armstrong. He owned a great little place on West 57th and 10th.

He has passed now, but told me several parts of the secret recipe over the years. His barmaid also knew some parts of the recipe, and unbeknownst to Jimmy, we dated for a bit and I was able to gather that info.

The only person who knew his whole recipe was his chef, who retired when the pub was sold. At Jimmy's repast, several of us regular customers offered the chef a load of cash for the recipe, but he stayed true to his old boss and friend.

I've spent years trying to replicate it with the fragments of info that I've collected, but I'm close enough now to say mine is a good imitation.

Last edited:
I'll post a Caribbean pork chop brine recipe as soon as I can that was passed on to me by a dear old friend and NYC restauranteur, Jimmy Armstrong. He owned a great little place on West 57th and 10th.
Please, please do because I have similar issues with pork. I'd love to see the recipe. And I love the story of how you arrived at it!

Please, please do because I have similar issues with pork. I'd love to see the recipe. And I love the story of how you arrived at it!

Oops, sorry, I forgot about this. In fact, I just made a batch and am currently marinating some pork loin chops for tonight's dinner.

Of course it's snowing out because I planned on using the grill tonight. We're supposed to get 4 to 6 inches, so I'll have to dig out the grill later.
God is quite the practical joker.

I dislike horse and sheeps meat.. Apart from making sense, but they have a taste too strong, pungent and I just can not eat them, especially the sheep's meat, even the strong smell makes me nauseated...

Back
Top Bottom