National French Toast Day

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:13 PM
Wednesday 28th November is National French Toast day in the USA. Apparently, the earliest reference to French toast dates back to 4th century Rome.The name for French toast in France is “pain perdu”, which means “lost bread.” In the UK it is sometimes called 'eggy bread' or 'gypsy bread' and is also known as
"Poor Knights of Windsor". It may be served with sweet or savoury accompaniments or simply on its own.

Extract from:
How to make perfect french toast (The Guardian):
Of paramount importance. From Apicius onwards, french toast recipes have made clear that the bread should be fine (ie soft) and white; medieval recipes tend to call for manchet – the paler, lighter loaf that was a great status symbol at a time when the common herd subsisted on bread coarse enough to break a tooth on.

As a substitute when trying Gervase Markham's recipe from his 1615 book, The English Hus-Wife, I use a good-quality, yeast-raised white loaf. Ambrose Heath calls for a sliced French roll in his 1937 book Good Sweets, Martha Stewart suggests brioche, and my trusty Cook's Illustrated New Best Recipe book, which has tested the matter with characteristic thoroughness, strongly recommends using challah (a braided Jewish bread made with eggs) for "flavour and richness", as well as the fact it stays "generally crisp outside and somewhat moist inside".

Do you make French toast? What type of bread do you use? What do you serve it with?

Very simple here.

Thick sliced white bread (aka Texas Toast) pressed in an egg bath that includes a pinch each of salt and cinnamon. Fried in butter just to set the egg, then served with whipped butter and real Vermont maple syrup.

Seems like you guys generally serve it as a sweet thing. Here its often served as a savoury - my favourite way is simply with Worcestershire sauce generously drizzled over and maybe some bacon on the side.

Or how about this? Indian French Toast

savory-french-toast-indian-03.jpg

Interesting looking.

Yes, I've never seen it served as anything but sweet in U.S., at least in restaurants.

Panettone (chocolate chip etcetera.) during the holidays, cinnamon raisin bread or halved croissant, served with fresh fruit like strawberries, peaches or any fresh Berry. I dip the bread slices in a mixture of beaten egg with a little milk or cream and cinnamon, and fry in butter. There are also overnight french toast casseroles that are baked in a baking dish, and can be topped with slivered almonds etcetera.

Seems like you guys generally serve it as a sweet thing. Here its often served as a savoury - my favourite way is simply with Worcestershire sauce generously drizzled over and maybe some bacon on the side.

Strata comes to mind. Similar to a French Toast Casserole and baked using pretty much any breakfast ingredients you like, like French or Italian bread, spinach, gruyere cheese. Add cooked sausage if you like. I made a Caprese strata with torn bread, shredded mozzarella cheese, tomatoes. Kind of like pizza for breakfast.

Panettone (chocolate chip etcetera.) during the holidays, cinnamon raisin bread or halved croissant
My favorite type of bread to use is a cinnamon bread, but I really like the idea of using panettone. Also, as @CraigC and @medtran49 indicated, challah and brioche are also excellent vessels. But, the truth is, I almost always do what @buckytom does, because any of these options requires more planning than I care to be involved in when it comes to breakfast.

But, I'm intrigued by what @morning glory posted. I usually lean toward savory things anyway at breakfast, so I will certainly give something like this a try sometime. Again, the prerequisite of not requiring me to plan or (ideally) think early in the morning make it very likely to happen.

I don't usually put a lot of work into a breakfast dish, but it would make a nice holiday brunch/easy casserole dish, served with fresh fruit and mimosas.
I love Cinnamon raisin French toast.

I have seen eggnog French toast, but haven't tried it yet.

I've seen on some cooking show, it being made with cinnamon rolls and doughnuts. That would be way too sweet for me.

I've seen on some cooking show, it being made with cinnamon rolls and doughnuts. That would be way too sweet for me.
People always want to push the envelope: if French Toast is sweet, let's see how sweet we can make it. On the other hand, if the alcohol content in the Nog is high enough, I might consider it. :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom