National Pie Day - what is you favourite pie?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:19 PM
Today is National Pie day (I just found out!). You don’t have to eat meat to celebrate National Pie Day. The annual celebration of all things pastry-based is for everyone. So, whether you’re vegan, taking part in veganuary, or doing Meat-free Monday, these vegan pie recipes will come in handy.

And at the other extreme, meat eaters could try the pie burger – a burger in a pie.

What is your favourite pie? Do you make your own pies?

pic0605-cbh_branston_0019-2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, we are having steaks today with mushrooms and garlic.
Baked beans sort of from scratch. The beans are canned and I found a molasses/brown sugar syrup at the store Saturday.

My favourite has to be Steak and Kidney. I just love it. Closely followed by Beef and Ale Pie. On the vegetarian side it would be leek and bean with a cheesy sauce.

Pies!!!
Where to start... Where do you stop...
Mince pies, Lemon merange, apple and blackberry.
Cheese and onion, chicken and ham, traditional Melton Mowbray pork pie.
:hungry:
Melton Mowbray. Now we're talking! I've eaten the real deal in Melton Mowbray.
But who here has made a raised pork pie?

I like steak and kidney pie and pork pies. Not that I get them very often but if I do its usually down the pub. My local does steak and ale pies which are quite good. I haven't tried to make one myself.

Yes - originally the hot water crust pastry would be 'hand raised' but the gadget used does the job. So - they are more or less 'hand made' in Melton Mowbray. I have made them myself (hand raised). Not for a while, though. Perhaps its time to start honing up my hot water crust technique. :chef:

Last edited:
My favourite pie? Vegetable? Veg Curry? Homity? not really what you are thinking of I know. I do make some really nice vegan pies. Aromatic vegetable pies with a (soya) yoghurt pastry is particularly nice (and yes the recipe is on here somewhere). I have done some potato, soya cheese and marmite pies just recently which were really nice. And then there is Vernon's Indian Potato Pie which is really good.

Back
Top Bottom