National Pie Day - what is you favourite pie?

Isn't it 'by definition' raised if its hot water crust?
I don't know. I thought a raised pie had to have a ceramic cylinder thing in the centre to hold up the pastry as the filling shrunk, but I could easily be confusing that with something else.

I don't know. I thought a raised pie had to have a ceramic cylinder thing in the centre to hold up the pastry as the filling shrunk, but I could easily be confusing that with something else.

I'm probably confused too. But I thought it just meant the pie was sort of 'raised' up the sides of the dish. And yes... a cylinder thing to help. I'll research.

Last edited:
My favourite pie of the past was the one my dear old mum used to make - beef and potato. Bite size chunks of lean beef with cubed spuds and gravy. No sides or bottom just a pastry top. Reet grand.

Last edited:
I also don't want her daughter to have my cell number
:eek: That just sounds weird to British ears - the only "cell" we might refer to is a prison cell. Your 'cell' is a mobile over here. Two countries divided by a common language - strange but true.
However as to pies my favourite has to be either a good pork pie or apple and blackberry [used to pick wild blackberries as a boy and childhood memories are the best]

Back
Top Bottom