National Seafood Bisque Day

@epicuric - just been scouring my cookbooks - apparently bisque is supposed to have cognac and cream and traditionally the stock is made from the shells. I've never made stock using crab shells but I've seen it done on TV. Do you have Rick Stein's 'Seafood'? There is a step by step with photos on how to do it.

If not I'll photograph the page and post it here.
Yes, I did look through Seafood, but didn't spot the bisque recipe - it's one of those irritating books without an index. I did broadly follow his shellfish stock recipe, but without the cognac or prawns, using brown crab meat instead. Shropshire is not well known for it's shellfish! It's pretty much the same recipe as Jane Grigson's in her Fish Book.

Yes, I did look through Seafood, but didn't spot the bisque recipe - it's one of those irritating books without an index. I did broadly follow his shellfish stock recipe, but without the cognac or prawns, using brown crab meat instead. Shropshire is not well known for it's shellfish! It's pretty much the same recipe as Jane Grigson's in her Fish Book.

He also uses irritating grey typeface so I hope you can see this. He uses shore crab but I think any crab would work page references are 101 and 86. But it does have an index - or at least my copy does...

fullsizeoutput_3c74.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3c76.jpeg

I made traditional lobster bisque before, a long, long, long time ago. Craig wasn't too impressed with it, apparently doesn't even remember it. I only remember because of the amount of work it was. He'd much rather have lots of bits in his soups, chowders, gumbos, etc. He's not real big on frou-frou food.

View attachment 20012
Always up for a challenge! The most challenging thing was finding fresh crab for this crab bisque. The soup should be clear, but that would have meant sieving out all the good bits of blitzed vegetables which I wasn't prepared to do. It was a bit disappointing.
Wow! looks incredible! It looks like something you would get in a restaurant!

Back
Top Bottom