Nduja (spreadable Italian salami paste)

CraigC

Guru
Local time
8:46 AM
Karen found this spreadable Italian salami paste while searching for something else. Then our search to find it locally began. We started in an Italian grocery store. We asked several employees that said they never heard of it and they certainly didn't carry it. Lucky for us a women employee heard us asking and took us to the case they "DIDN"T carry it in. It is really tasty and is perfect for grilled crostini.

Last edited:
This stuff is totally amazing. I was going to post a thread about it a while back - I can get it in a deli here in Saffron Walden where I'm staying at the moment. What is so amazing is that if you just heat a dollop in a saucepan and add a splash or so of pasta cooking water you have an instant pasta sauce - there is really no need to add any other ingredients. Anyone who doesn't know what it is will think you are a magician in the kitchen! Its fruity, spicy, umami all at once.

I didn't get round to posting the photo I took - I'll go and look.

Nduja is likely a corruption of Andouille, btw.

This Nduja I obtained from Ocado (on-line supermarket):

20171009_122543.jpg

This is the Nduja melting down:

20171009_123958.jpg

And the final dish:

20171009_125214.jpg

Calabrese 'Nduja :heat:.. good and to keep with very calm for me. I like Chilli and spicy salame but I still remember once when I've tasted Nduja to a my husband's calabrese friend and my mouth and my nose burnt..and Yes it could be a very good pasta sauce :spaghetti:

Last edited:
I like the look of that very much. I see that Carluccio's sell it. Might be another way of adding interest to leftover goose.

Calabrese 'Nduja :heat:.. good and to keep with very calm for me. I like Chilli and spicy salame but I still remember once when I've tasted Nduja to a my husband's calabrese friend and my mouth and my nose burnt..and Yes it could be a very good pasta sauce :spaghetti:

It seems mild compared to some curries I make!

Have to keep my eyes peeled for this.

Russ

That was the second time we were told they didn't carry it, as it wasn't in the same location the lady showed us the first time we were told they didn't carry it. This time my wife spotted it in the specialty section of the deli. I took the package to the 2 people that told me they didn't carry it and told them that the next time someone asks, they'll know the shop actually does carry it.

Back
Top Bottom