Need Cooking Tips for Using a Cast Iron Pot

Matilda

Local time
6:04 PM
I have an enameled Cast Iron Dutch oven. This one..

Its the 7 Qt. Oval Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven in the middle of the screen.
(it seems the link is not going there directly)

https://www.tramontina-usa.com/product-category/cooking/1070-sauce-pots-dutch-ovens/

The instructions are poor. I need to know how to bake with this. I've read they are temperature sensitive. So I'm wondering how do I bake in an oven? Should I put the full pot in a cool oven, then bring the temp up? Or should I put it in a hot, pre-heated oven? Sounds like heat shock might chip the enamel off.

I'm going to try and make a lasagna in this. 7 or 8 layers. :hungry: Most Dutch Oven recipes for lasagna are for camp fires. But I found one that goes in an oven at 400F.

Any advice?

Last edited:
I wish I could help you out, but we have never considered making lasagna in our enamel coated Dutch ovens. Everything I've ever made started out on the stove top and then went into a preheated oven (jambalaya) or finished on the stove top Gumbo). Maybe inexpensive (made in China type) enamel coated stuff might chip, but we've never had a problem with Le Creuset. I just saw a review that said the handle on a 6.5 qt Tramolina chipped when bang against the sink.

Last edited:
I don't know this particular brand but any sort of enamel coated cast iron should be fine in the oven (providing the handles are oven proof). I've used enamelled cast iron on numerous occasions in the past and placed it straight an oven heated to the required temperature.

I wouldn't have thought however that a round shaped pan would be best for a lasagne - but only because lasagne sheets are oblong shaped!

The link you gave states for one of the pots I looked at there: 'Oven-safe up to 350 F / 176 C' so you might want to lower the recipe temperature from 400C to 350C perhaps.

The link you gave states for one of the pots I looked at there: 'Oven-safe up to 350 F / 176 C' so you might want to lower the recipe temperature from 400C to 350C perhaps.

Thats strange. The link should have taken you to the 7 Qt. oval enameled dutch oven. The temp listed is 450F.

There are a few lasagna recipes for cast iron dutch ovens. Most are for camp fire cooking. But some actually have oven baking with specified baking times and temp.

Last edited:
Thats strange. The link should have taken you to the 7 Qt. oval enameled dutch oven. The temp listed is 450F.

There are a few lasagna recipes for cast iron dutch ovens. Most are for camp fire cooking. But some actually have oven baking with specified baking times and temp.

Oh well - never mind. The pot was one on the page so I now looked at it and it certainly does go up to 450C. Let us know how it goes!

Here is direct link: 80131-052ds-enameled-cast-iron-7-qt-covered-oval-dutch-oven

Last edited:
Lodge 5-qt cast iron Dutch Oven..jpg

I have the 5-Lodge Cast iron Kettle. I just cook in it as I would any other pot. The good thing is that it holds heat for a long time. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom