Need Ideas for Fancy Dinner Party

adipirro852

Über Member
Local time
7:45 PM
Hey everyone

I'm putting together a dinner for a group of 8 friends. The plan is to do a "World Tour" and make a 7 course meal where each dish is from a new continent. Each dish will obviously also be paired with a cocktail or drink of some sort from that region.

Hoping to get some ideas as to which dishes you think exemplify each continent's cuisine.

Thanks for the info! And yes...those are the locations I mean. I realize that it is a tall task as the possibilities are literally endless.

I'm mainly looking for some of people's favorite dishes from those areas. Preferably dishes that also originated in the area. And finally...as it is a 7 course meal...smaller plates would probably be ideal.

Thanks for the info! And yes...those are the locations I mean. I realize that it is a tall task as the possibilities are literally endless.

I'm mainly looking for some of people's favorite dishes from those areas. Preferably dishes that also originated in the area. And finally...as it is a 7 course meal...smaller plates would probably be ideal.
Great that you put your location! Smaller dishes yes...but you could always do smaller potions of regular size meals. However, it might be sensible to choose lighter dishes. Now...are you doing all the cooking yourself (tough!). Are you (or friends) experienced cooks? I can think of lots of ideas but don't want to suggest anything beyond your skills.

I'll likely be doing all the cooking myself. It will be tough but I'm up for the challenge. Shouldn't have too many issues if I plan things out properly. Should the need arise though I have a couple friends who could help out.

I am a pretty experienced cook so I have no qualms putting together some more advanced dishes.

Here's a thought. You could break the courses down in terms of type of food for example:

1. Canapes or dips (little bites)
2. Vegetarian starter
3. Soup
4. Fish course
5. Meat course
6. Dessert
7. Cheese

Then sort of work backwards to which continent to pick. For example - which continent is famous for fish? Antartica! Just an idea. The big problem is that each continent contains so many different cuisines, particularly when it comes to Africa, Europe and Asia.

How about a Pavlova for pudding/dessert course representing Australia. Fairly simple to make and can be made in advance.
For cheese course - a selection of French, Italian, and British cheeses (if you can obtain them) representing Europe.
This would give you two courses which can be made/purchased in advance.

My best bet is not the main dish but the side dish. If you happen to have steak or chicken, broiled corn on the cob is one good novelty. Especially if the broiling is in the backyard where the guests can see, the aroma of corn on the cob on the griller is magnetic. And if you care for seafoods, another blockbuster here is the baked mussels. But it is the double baking that makes the mussels delicious. Bake the mussels so it will split into half then put butter and bake it again until cooked. When done, put cheese bits. That would be a hit with the house guests.

Back
Top Bottom