New Business

vrossi

Local time
7:49 PM
Hello everyone,
I have decided to design an app to keep inventory of the food in your fridge and know exactly when it's going to expire (with a notification). Once you buy something from the grocery store, you'll scan it with the phone's camera and the app will automatically store the information of that particular ingredient. This app will also suggest recipes with the ingredients that you have available in your fridge. I would like to have feedbacks from you about this idea; would you use it? if not, why and how can we improve it?
Thank you for your time and comments because your opinions are really important for my job.
Valerio Rossi

From my point of view, and this is not representative of everyone, just me, I don't take any notice of best before dates or expiry dates. They are not representative of when something is bad or going off. I use common sense. Something left out in the open during summer will go off much more quickly than the same item in winter (in fact here it would freeze at night which could cause other problems). That item left or in summer could well be in date but bad? How would your app deal with that? You'd need some form of disclaimer that people would have to accept. There are massive legal consequences if you think about it.

If i purchase eggs for example, in some countries they are sold in the fridge section and it is recommended to keep them in a fridge. In other countries like the UK and much of Scandinavia, they are sold on the open shelf and you can keep them on the counter workout any issues. In Australia they ate sold in the fridge section, but where I live in the cooler months (end of autumn, winter and beginning of spring) I can keep them on the shelf without problem. Some months though I keep them in the fridge to stop them from freezing and cracking open! In the hotter months they go into the fridge because it can easily reach 37C (or more and into the 40's) and I don't want them starting to incubate. (I have my own chooks and my eggs are fertile).

In America, all eggs are washed. This removes the protective layer that is on an egg when it is lain. The protective layer is a barrier against I bacteria and viruses and is the very reason that fertile eggs which a been then suits on, don't go bad but grow. The yolk sac feeding the chick for 21 days.

Ok, just my random thoughts on it. Would I use it? No. Sorry. I don't need an app to tell me when something in my fridge is going to reach its (manufacturers chosen) expiry date.

One other thought, how would you deal with reduced items? Their bar code often is different and stick over the true bar code. Apps like myfitnesspal and others can't scan those items properly to enter them and you have to either very carefully pull off the label hoping not to damage the bar code or enter them manually. Would you have the option to enter it manually?

From my point of view, and this is not representative of everyone, just me, I don't take any notice of best before dates or expiry dates. They are not representative of when something is bad or going off. I use common sense. Something left out in the open during summer will go off much more quickly than the same item in winter (in fact here it would freeze at night which could cause other problems). That item left or in summer could well be in date but bad? How would your app deal with that? You'd need some form of disclaimer that people would have to accept. There are massive legal consequences if you think about it.

If i purchase eggs for example, in some countries they are sold in the fridge section and it is recommended to keep them in a fridge. In other countries like the UK and much of Scandinavia, they are sold on the open shelf and you can keep them on the counter workout any issues. In Australia they ate sold in the fridge section, but where I live in the cooler months (end of autumn, winter and beginning of spring) I can keep them on the shelf without problem. Some months though I keep them in the fridge to stop them from freezing and cracking open! In the hotter months they go into the fridge because it can easily reach 37C (or more and into the 40's) and I don't want them starting to incubate. (I have my own chooks and my eggs are fertile).

In America, all eggs are washed. This removes the protective layer that is on an egg when it is lain. The protective layer is a barrier against I bacteria and viruses and is the very reason that fertile eggs which a been then suits on, don't go bad but grow. The yolk sac feeding the chick for 21 days.

Ok, just my random thoughts on it. Would I use it? No. Sorry. I don't need an app to tell me when something in my fridge is going to reach its (manufacturers chosen) expiry date.

One other thought, how would you deal with reduced items? Their bar code often is different and stick over the true bar code. Apps like myfitnesspal and others can't scan those items properly to enter them and you have to either very carefully pull off the label hoping not to damage the bar code or enter them manually. Would you have the option to enter it manually?

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Excellent points .. In Spain, eggs are not sold in refrigerators and come from the farms to the markets.

I would probably find this too "techi" as I am not a grand fan of computers or cell phones .. I use as a necesity but like simplicity ..

Another point is, that when a food builds mold or spoils, it sends off an aroma that is quite unpleasant .. It happens on occasion ..

One has to weigh up the positives and negatives in all businesses and have contigencies should an idea not prove viable ..

Have a nice evening. And a lovely weekend.

I concur with the SatNav approach and it seems to do the trick in this house because nothing, other than eggshells and peelings, gets thrown out. I rather fear that we are in an age of having to have an app for everything we do.

Quick search - 10 Apps to Help You Organise Your Fridge & Pantry (see item 6)
https://learn.compactappliance.com/apps-for-your-fridge/

fridge-apps.jpg

Last edited:
It could be interesting...but not for me, sorry. I'm not apps fan.
Good Luck!

@MypinchofItaly

Could be cool if you have a family with kids and / or some one is a homemaker or are retired and cook alot at home.

However, for me it is un-necessary as I know when I buy something, it is used very quickly, within 1 or 2 days at most ..

@MypinchofItaly

Could be cool if you have a family with kids and / or some one is a homemaker or are retired and cook alot at home.

However, for me it is un-necessary as I know when I buy something, it is used very quickly, within 1 or 2 days at most ..

In fact personally is unnecessary for me and my rites too. I don't have interesting..maybe one day, who knows...

I would find it useless and a waste of my time. Many things we have in the pantry and especially the fridge and freezers are homemade.

If you are young and tech savvy and perhaps work / travel about a lot this may be handy. Not for us but I suspect there are those who could find it useful - if, for example when coming home from a trip abroad it lets you know what's in the fridge that you need to renew on the way home. Not everybody is as 'food efficient' as they might be.

Back
Top Bottom