New Feature: The CookingBites Spice Challenge: Spice of the Month (March 2017): Allspice

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:07 AM
This is a new feature! Each month we'll be showcasing a different spice (we are here to educate as well as entertain :D). I'll be writing up some information about the spice and then its over to you to come up with your tips, tricks or recipes using the spice. And to launch the feature, there will be a prize :woot: (to be posted anywhere in the world, customs permitting) for the best ideas. Just add your ideas to this thread or if you have a recipe, then post it as a new thread and tag it 'Allspice'. So, as you already realised, this month, the featured spice is Allspice!

Allspice - the info:

Allspice3.jpg

Cultivation
A member of the myrtle family, allspice is an evergreen tree indigenous to the West Indies, Central and South America. Its botanical name is Pimenta dioaca. Avenues of the tees are charmingly known as ‘pimento walks’. It would certainly be delightful to take such a walk, because apparently every part of the tree, the bark, leaves, flowers and then the berries produce a heady aroma. The fully developed green berries are harvested and dried in the sun, where they turn purple and then brown.

Aroma and flavour
Aptly named, Allspice smells of cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon and is best used whole (crushing as required), since the ground form can lose its flavour. The flavour is produced by eugenol, the compound which gives cloves their flavour.

Culinary uses
In Jamaica allspice berries are made into a local drink known as Jamaica dram. They are also used to make the French liqueur Chartreuse. In Europe the spice is traditionally used in sweet recipes including Christmas puddings and cakes as well as in pickles and chutneys. It is also contained in American pumpkin pie spice.

The berries are also used in curries, spice pastes, and ‘rubs’ and as a key ingredient in Caribbean jerk seasoning. Ras el hanout, the African spice mix used in tangines, often contains allspice. It is also used to flavour sausages, particularly German sausages. Arabic 7 spice (bokharat) contains allspice as one of its seven spices.
Many Nordic dishes also use the berries, popularly in herring dishes but also with venison and other meats.

Now its over to you. Do you use Allspice? Tell us your ideas, tips and recipes for using this aromatic spice. Deadline for entries is midday (GMT) 1st April 2017.

Last edited:
Why, don't you like the taste? Its an ingredient in mincemeat (the sort in Xmas mince pies).
I've never knowingly had it! I only ever use Robertson's Classic mincemeat and it is not in that (ingredients.....Mixed Spices (0.3%) (Cinnamon, Coriander, Dill, Fennel, Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg, Cassia)). None of the mincemeat recipes on the BBC Food site use it (although it is in Christmas pudding), and Schwartz's mixed spice does not contain it either.

I've never knowingly had it! I only ever use Robertson's Classic mincemeat and it is not in that (ingredients.....Mixed Spices (0.3%) (Cinnamon, Coriander, Dill, Fennel, Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg, Cassia)). None of the mincemeat recipes on the BBC Food site use it (although it is in Christmas pudding), and Schwartz's mixed spice does not contain it either.

In which case, you're on a challenge.... :D

Last edited:
I won first prize in a handwriting competition at Children's Day in Roundhay Park in Leeds when I was 9 years old.

I've won nowt since.

And I also don't have any allspice.:cry::cry:

Back
Top Bottom