New Feature: The CookingBites Spice Challenge: Spice of the Month (March 2017): Allspice

Do I have to post a separate recipe, then link it here?
I make a pork tenderloin dish where you rub the tenderloin all over with wholgrain dijon mustard (Maille brand is my favorite), then sprinkle with just a little crushed allspice and a good amount of fennel seeds and grill until medium rare to medium.

Do I have to post a separate recipe, then link it here?
yes please. otherwise recipes will simply be lost in threads such as this and people won't find it in years or even months to come. Post it as a recipe with the recipe prefix (obvious when you create the new thread in the correct area) and then just add a link here referencing it.

I do have an entry for this I think. It is a cake my Mum makes. I'll will try to write it out tomorrow.

Its judgement time! Six entries were received for the Spice Challenge and they were all very interesting. In the end I have chosen Sardine escabeche with allspice from @LadyBelle because I would never have thought of using allspice with fish (and I love sardines!). I also particularly liked the Stout Mustard from @Elawin and I may well be making that soon. So congratulations @LadyBelle, you have won a fantastic prize. A brand new copy of The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit. I use this book all the time as a reference and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to everyone here. You will need to PM me with a postal address @LadyBelle. :)

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to @morning glory for my wonderful copy of The Flavour Thesaurus.

I'm in my third week of feeling absolutely rotten, so other than dragging myself into work (for a few hours), I am mostly slumped on the sofa. I haven't cooked anything from it yet but I have had a few roots through it and its a fabulous book. I have already covered it with post it notes of things I want to try when I'm back to being able to eat anything other then ice lollies.

Thanks again.

Congrats! I'm late to the party, here, but I'd like to add that a pinch of allspice with beef can be a good thing. Just a pinch. I add it to my restaurant gravy.

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to @morning glory for my wonderful copy of The Flavour Thesaurus.

I'm in my third week of feeling absolutely rotten, so other than dragging myself into work (for a few hours), I am mostly slumped on the sofa. I haven't cooked anything from it yet but I have had a few roots through it and its a fabulous book. I have already covered it with post it notes of things I want to try when I'm back to being able to eat anything other then ice lollies.

Thanks again.

I'm so glad you like it. I think any serious foodie would. I use it to improvise... in fact I'm just about to look up strawberries to see what I might 'pair' them with.

Back
Top Bottom