New feature! The CookingBites Cookalong: Coq au Vin

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:37 AM
Have you ever cooked the classic dish Coq au VIn? If not, then now is your chance to try! If you have cooked it before, you can share your wisdom and cook along too. The idea of the Cookalong is that members cook a classic recipe within a certain timescale and share their experience. Its a bit of fun and a chance to learn. Our first recipe is Coq au Vin, the classic French casserole dish.

You don't have to stick to the following recipe - there are many variations of this dish. But I would say that the dish ought to contain: chicken, wine (could be non-alcoholic), bacon, baby onions or shallots, mushrooms.

I did a bit of research and chose this very straightforward recipe from James Martin as a starting point for the Cookalong. The other recipe which caught my attention was from Raymond Blanc. He marinades the chicken in wine (which is what I usually do) - but beware, his recipe is much more complicated! See here.

Please add your comments, photos, experiences to this thread. Provisional closing date Weds 3rd May, but we can be flexible if people haven't had time and intend to join in. Please do say if you are intending to join in! I'll be cooking Coq au Vin at the weekend. :happy:

James Martin's Coq au Vin

Ingredients

• 25g/1oz butter
  • 150g/5½oz shallots, peeled but left whole
  • 5 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 150g/5½oz streaky bacon, cut thickly
  • sprig of fresh thyme or a good pinch of dried
  • 350g/12½oz button mushrooms
  • 500ml/16½fl oz good red wine
  • 500ml/16½fl oz chicken stock
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 free range chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces, on the bone but skin removed (or 6 chicken thighs)
  • small bunch flat leaf parsley chopped
  • salt and crushed black pepper
Method
  1. Heat a thick-bottomed casserole dish on the stove, add almost all the butter (reserving a knob of the butter) and the shallots. Cook until just browned; then stir in the garlic. Add the bacon and thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes.

2. Add the mushrooms, turn up the heat and add the red wine, chicken stock and vinegar. Add the chicken pieces, bring the sauce to the boil and then simmer gently for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through. For a thicker sauce, remove the chicken once it is cooked and keep warm. Cook the sauce over a high heat for a few minutes until the volume of liquid has reduced. Return the chicken back to the pan.

3. Add the parsley, together with the reserved knob of butter. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve with a dressed green salad and olive oil mash or crusty bread.

Last edited:
My tip for peeling those baby onions or shallots that you will need for this recipe. Put them in a bowl and cover with boiling water and cover with a plate or clingfilm. Leave for 15 mins, drain and the skin will peel off much more easily. :D

Is there an option for vegetarians/vegans? We have tempeh which can be used instead of chicken. Seitan is an obvious option if people like it and for those (not me) who like there are 'fake chicken' options available in the form of both quorn and other such products like this one (http://beyondmeat.com/products/view/grilled-strips)

Is there an option for vegetarians/vegans? We have tempeh which can be used instead of chicken. Seitan is an obvious option if people like it and for those (not me) who like there are 'fake chicken' options available in the form of both quorn and other such products like this one (http://beyondmeat.com/products/view/grilled-strips)

We are never going to be able to choose dishes that suit everyone. But its not a competition and anyone can join in and I guess using chicken substitutes might be interesting. I must confess I've never come across tempeh or Quorn style chicken cooked in red wine. It might be interesting to find out if it would work...

We are never going to be able to choose dishes that suit everyone. But its not a competition and anyone can join in and I guess using chicken substitutes might be interesting. I must confess I've never come across tempeh or Quorn style chicken cooked in red wine. It might be interesting to find out if it would work...
I've never ever had coq ou vin so.... I'll put it on the list for next week and report back. We have some red wine over from a pizza party we held on Monday. Assuming my OH hasn't drunk it!
I would probably do it with Tempeh (which are soya beans through which a certain fungus has been allowed to grow) It is really nice and much better for you than Tofu is. I actually prefer it to tofu (at least shop bought tofu) and I know it is much less processed than tofu.

Great choice of dish! Count me in. A while ago a friend of mine gave me a recipe for a version of Coq au Vin made using Riesling instead of the usual red wine. I have been waiting for an opportunity to try it out!

Last edited:
Great choice of dish! Count me in. A while ago a friend of mine gave me a recipe for a version of Coq au Vin made using Riesling instead of the usual red wine. I have been waiting for an opportunity to try it out!
That sound very strange! Did the finished dish looked pale rather than rich brown?

I've never ever had coq ou vin so.... I'll put it on the list for next week and report back. We have some red wine over from a pizza party we held on Monday. Assuming my OH hasn't drunk it!
I would probably do it with Tempeh (which are soya beans through which a certain fungus has been allowed to grow) It is really nice and much better for you than Tofu is. I actually prefer it to tofu (at least shop bought tofu) and I know it is much less processed than tofu.
The problem is going to be getting enough flavour into your stock, I think. Will you use a veg stock like Marigold?

Back
Top Bottom